No announcement yet.

Hanging 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanted to thank you for your posts. I was having some difficulty with bruising from hanging and after reading this thread realized wrap was too tight and to far down the shaft. Still getting some red dots but that can't be helped at my age and medical status.

Have a question for you. Got off hanging for a couple of weeks due to the afore mentioned bruising and went to the jelqing tool. Bruising cleared up and went back to light hanging over the past couple of days. Was curious why you say you must/should go one way or the other. All hanging or all jelqing, an over simplification I realize. Thought to do 20 minutes of hanging per day, with 20lb ( have been at it since last September) and 10 minutes with the jelqing device.
    Start 2009/06/24 bpel 5.5 eg 4.75
    2009/08/26 bpel 5.5 eg 5.25
    2010/01/05 bpel 6.12"
    2010/08/01 bpel 6.25
    Goal 7"

Comment

Hanging 101: Don't Mix This Length Routine With Any Girth Routines
      frb3: if you've been hanging a year, then clearly you have a substantial amount of experience, and you can make decisions based on that. This guide is written for beginning hangers, it's only hanging 101. However, no hanger, no matter how advanced should ever mix girth work with length work. It's just not common sense, since girth work can cause losses in length and it's very intense. Combining two very contradictory, very intense exercises is just not safe!

Advanced Girth Work + Hanging = Nonsense (& Potential Injuries)
      It has been demonstrated that those who have done heavy girth work (horse440's, clamping, ulis, etc) tend to have trouble making length gains. The long term conditioning from the girth work makes the penis incredibly tough, and very difficult to deform with normal length work. This is why you'll usually get the advice "length first, girth second".

This is also why I said not to mix hanging with other routines; hanging is very intense, and significantly weakens your tunica, ligaments, etc. Something that might make sense with a manual routine could be very dangerous with hanging. I don't want people to get injured, so my blanket advice is to play it safe. Jelqing with a high erection is girth work, while jelqing downward, with very slight erection (the opposite end of the spectrum) is length work. Although jelqs are not hardcore girth work, I think your own experience indicates that hanging + jelqing is too much force for your penis to handle.

I don't know your medical situation, but the bruising (injury) implies that Jelqs + Hanging = Too much.

20lbs is a lot of force and the attachment point stress on your penis shouldn't be underestimated. Those tissues get fatigued with hanging, making them vulnerable to injury. Those forces combined with jelqing are very hard on your penis. You can do research and come to your own conclusions, and in the end what you do is your choice. At least based on my experience, and based on what I know, I just can't advocate mixing hanging with another routine (like clamping), hanging erect, or doing anything else which might cause an injury.

Don't Let it Turtle: Golf Swing Weights
      A lot of experienced hangers do use golf weights to prevent turtling. Someone that has just started hanging is probably trying to figure out what fatigue is, and is going through a lot of skin stretching, and adapting to attachment point stresses. They are already going to be sore, so adding anything extra is not advisable. That's why I didn't mention this in "Hanging 101". If you do try this out, you may want to do it during a week where you have not increased your hang time, or your hanging weight.

Adding a light ADS, like golf swing weights could be helpful, since this would encourage your penis to heal in a more elongated state. 3x Golf Swing Weights only weigh about 1lb, so they wont do much at all to an experienced hanger that has adjusted to long periods of hanging with a lot of weight. Of course, the rule still applies that if you feel any pain at all, you should reduce the weight, or remove it completely if necessary (common sense always applies!).

With Golf Swing Weights, you need to make sure to wrap as lightly as possible (without allowing slippage), and it's important to leave the glans uncovered so you can monitor things and assure you're not losing circulation (cold glans, bluish glans, purplish glans etc can imply circulation issues). It's best to check every 20 minutes to make sure you don't lose circulation with any ADS / Extender device.

Advice to Frb3: I'm Trying to Give Something Constructive
      I don't know your complete situation, so it is hard for me to advise you. As I said before, the jelqs + hanging appear to be causing the damage (bruising). I don't want to leave you with nothing, so I'll give you something constructive (not just criticism). You could experiment with an extender to increase the intensity of your length work (if time is an issue and you can't hang at least 10 hours per week).

Hanging + an Extender?
      Edit: this is a bad idea. Don't even try this; we have seen at least one nasty injury from this kind of experimentation.

Edit: If you try an extender + hanging proceed you will probably break your penis. I warned you!
      Last edited by blink2000; 09-08-2010, 01:53 PM.
      My progress journal / useful PE links

Comment

Thanks for the excellent response. Will have to go back to manual PE since there is no way for me to get off the medication.

frb
        Start 2009/06/24 bpel 5.5 eg 4.75
        2009/08/26 bpel 5.5 eg 5.25
        2010/01/05 bpel 6.12"
        2010/08/01 bpel 6.25
        Goal 7"

Comment

Flaccid Jelqs (for length)
          Do you jelq with a high erection? You could try very flaccid downward jelqs with a very low erection (length focused jelqs with a 5% to 40% erection). Maybe that could still be complementary to hanging. Is that what you were doing already? (at what erection % were you jelqing?)

Bruising
          In your case, you know this might be a false positive for a serious injury, since everything you do is causing you to bleed. Maybe you can find a way to minimize the bleeding... also you mentioned some discoloration in another post...

Prevent Discoloration
          Here's something you can do to combat discoloration:
          https://www.pegym.com/forums/penis-e...tml#post155515

There are a number of other methods to correct or prevent discoloration too (e.g. traction wrapping, etc).
          Last edited by blink2000; 08-10-2010, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blink2000 View Post
            Advanced Girth Work + Hanging = Nonsense (& Potential Injuries)
            It has been demonstrated that those who have done heavy girth work (horse440's, clamping, ulis, etc) tend to have trouble making length gains. The long term conditioning from the girth work makes the penis incredibly tough, and very difficult to deform with normal length work. This is why you'll usually get the advice "length first, girth second".
            I'm actually a prime example of that if you rewind my log about 3-4 months ago. Clamp, clamp, clamp and then hang. Plateaued from hanging for the duration I was doing clamping AND didn't see any girth gains as well either. Now that I' off a complex routine like that I seem to be gaining again from just hanging.

Also frb after reading your post on page 3, staying at a weight will actually cause you to stop gaining in the long run, blink has made some great suggestions so far, but my $0.02 is that once your unit can actually handle the hanging again it is time to increase the weight.
            Last edited by millia; 08-10-2010, 11:21 PM.
            It's not just Penile Enhancement, it's a way of life.
            Millia's Dick Journey (NEW Introduction post!)

Comment

Thank you for some great input Millia.

I don't think it's just coincidental that your personal experiences matches the anecdotal data (that girth routines + hanging tend to backfire). Actually, I'm sorry to hear that effort didn't work out (it's always frustrating when we go through periods with no gains)!

I think we all need to do what you did... when the gains aren't coming, analyze our routine and figure out what we are doing wrong.

About staying at a weight: you can stay at the same weight and keep gaining... but... you have to keep adding sets! This way you still reach fatigue. Eventually, at some point you have to add weight.

Comment

I added details about rest days and explained that Bib's method of 1-2 'light days' per week is high risk, and optional. I explained normal rest days are 'ok', and I added a better explanation for what to do on rest days with Bib's method (one light set, maybe two, that's it on those days).

I better explained how to asses when it is time to stop targeting your angle of attack, and switch to a secondary angle, or even stop hanging (to avoid injury).

I also better explained that LOT theory is an optional method to choose your "angle of attack", and that the theory is designed to target your suspensory ligaments which are much easier to deform than your tunica (divide & conquer; easy gains).

Finally, I added a note that hanging takes you "past the point of no return", since it is an advanced exercise, it will make manual length gain exercises ineffective for you.

I'm still looking for more feedback on this article, don't be afraid to post your thoughts or questions in this thread!

Comment

LOT Theory Issues:
                  I just figured out I made a mistake with my explanation of LOT theory. I'll have to go back & rewrite the information on the angles of attack once I clarify the cascading logical effects this will cause with my writing... Mostly this will only effect the angle of attack section. I am internally debating what to do with LOT theory now (it turns out, it is only used to predict potential lig gains, the theory itself doesn't suggest an angle at all). I'm trying to decide whether LOT theory needs to be included with this guide (or not).

EDIT:
                  LOT Theory Corrected
                  I have gone back and corrected the errors that relate to LOT theory.

If anyone catches any errors, or has any suggestions for the guide please PM me.
                  Last edited by blink2000; 08-12-2010, 01:56 AM.

Comment

I've been meaning to get back into PE but i want to do it safer than i did when i first started (lots of fluid buildup as i didnt know about using tape).

I've been thinking of 24/7 stretching with very light tension and using my vacu unit as it doesnt stop flow. During the day i'm planning on hanging 1-2lb weight, for night/sitting position use a long rubberband connected to my ankle or knee.. perhaps even use the rubber band full time instead of the weight. Any one have any input? good/bad idea? why?

Comment

"perhaps even use the rubber band full time instead of the weight"
                      In other words, ADS / Hanger / Extender... they all work. You'll have to figure out what you like the most based on all the pros / cons as well as your own goals, how much private time you have, etc. If you can't manage to hang at least 10 hrs per week eventually you will gain more slowly. But you'll still gain.
                      Last edited by blink2000; 09-08-2010, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Blink, not sure if you have covered the following question. What is your take on doing some manual stretches (5-10min) before the hanging session, to loosen the ligs up abit?

Comment

Effectively, hanging does the same thing as a manual stretch, just with more force (as you move into the higher weights). As an extreme example, guys like Dustpan who can hang 75lbs probably can't benefit much from manual stretches.

I don't think that manual stretches would hurt at all, but I think the benefit will diminish after a while. Over time, your ligs will become harder & harder to deform. Once you completely maximize lig gains (by using the lower angles like SD, BTC), you'll be ready to move on to tunica deformation work (e.g. RSDT).

Comment

New to hanging, have read the above a few times..Many Thanks for the trouble writing it blink.
                            Have done JP's routine twice to condition my unit.
                            Started hanging this week, 3x20 minutes at 1KG ( 2.2lbs )
                            Will stay at this weight for a couple of weeks before increasing...
                            Length is the goal at the moment....again Cheers !

Comment

I don't know that it "has been demonstrated" that those who do heavy girth work have trouble making length gains. I don't count Bib or others having said so, without some other evidence to support the theory, as constituting a "demonstration".

It has been demonstrated that with any and all forms of PE some guys tend to gain length but little girth, and some girth but little length, but I don't think any physiological reason has been established for this observation. It may well be that guys who did heavy girth work did not gain much length, but that isn't the same as establishing that they failed to gain length because they did girth work. Conversely, there are surely guys who have gained a good deal of length with little girth gain, but again, this does not establish a cause and effect relationship.

In the absence of a very large randomized trial of participating members, it would be very difficult to garner evidence that someone's girth gains actually hindered subsequent length gains.

Comment

I'm clumpsy so i can't imagine me doing this safely.....however, nice read
                                August 15 2010 = FL = 5.......FG = 4.75......BPEL = 8 ......EG= 5.75

Goal = BPEL = 10.5 ->...............EG = 6.5 ->

Comment

Working...
                                X