pump gauge question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pump gauge question

So I just got my leluv pump in and I'm not sure how to read the gauge. It has mm hg in 100 and up and then it has mm hg from 0 to -5 to -10 and so on. When people say 4 to 5 hg is that 400 - 500 hg? Sorry if this is a dumb question I just need.to know. I tested it out and I went up to -5 hg and it didn't expand so I'm thinking it's 400-500.

The measurement most commonly used is inches hg(inches of mercury)

Yours seems to be metric, in which case 5 inHg would be equal to 127 mmHg
    2011 2012 2013 2014

Comment

You can use inches to measure it.

Comment

Well there is 25.4 mm in an inch. So 4hg is 101 right? And 5hg is 127 like Don said

Comment

I just bought a new Kaplan pump but the gauge doesnt start at the 0 it starts at the 2 hg. It goes up from there but never goes below 2. Looks like i need to return it. The gauge goes from 0 to -30. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by chazz View Post
            I just bought a new Kaplan pump but the gauge doesnt start at the 0 it starts at the 2 hg. It goes up from there but never goes below 2. Looks like i need to return it. The gauge goes from 0 to -30. Any thoughts?
            Good question mine sits @5hg. When I put it on it drops to 0hg then I release some of the air from putting it on and it goes back to 5hg?

Comment

JF,
              When the gauge was new out of the box, was the needle at 0?

Comment

The mm gauge is for mm in Mercury of pressure. At about 5 mm Hg, that would be considered a fairly intense level of pumping.
                PEGym APPROVED! The lowest price on the net for bathmate pumps GUARANTEED!

BathPump Pumping Routine- GET STARTED HERE

Comment

Where ever the needle on the gauge sits, just consider that your ZERO. Many of the brake bleeder type hand pumps have gauges that have a spring loaded rewind and it doesn't take much to bump the needle off the zero. That doesn't mean that you still can't use it or rely on the vacuum pressure reading to be accurate. It just means you need to re-calibrate your starting point at where the needle sits and consider that your new ZERO. So if it sits at 5 Hg then when you go up to 15 Hg you are technically only using 10 Hg of pressure (15 - 5 = 10). No need to send it back.
                  -Foldus,
                  L.G. Hanger,-
                  Owner/Licensed Master Machinist
                  www.lghangerllc.com
                  PEGym members get $10 off! Coupon Code PEGYM

Comment

Thanks make sense.

Comment

Working...
                    X