Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where exactly is the pelvic floor muscle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where exactly is the pelvic floor muscle?

I decided to try the tennis ball massage as I always believed I have a tight pelvic floor. Where exactly do I place the tennis ball? Above or below the anus? Where exactly is the pelvic floor muscle?

Originally posted by hulkman View Post
    Where exactly is the pelvic floor muscle?
    Despite my focus on and passion for it, I don't actually know. I'll do some reading up, and get back to you about it.
    Last edited by SoraSora; 07-03-2018, 02:55 PM.
    Hi! Good luck on your PE journey

You can read my own progress here.

Comment

I'll still have a bunch to learn, but I'll write up a little of what I've learnt for you.

It turns out, what we usually think of as the 'pelvic floor', the group of muscles running from our penis to our anus, isn't the pelvic floor at all. Although it's called the pelvic 'floor', it's not at the very bottom of the pelvis at all. That bottom region is the perineum. The perineum is made up of the erogenous skin, and also the muscles in the urogenital and anal triangles (you can look these up). These groups include the bulbocavernous, ischiocavernous, and transverse perineal muscles. The pelvic floor actually sits on top of these perineal muscles, which act as the inferior boundary for it. The muscles of the pelvic floor are primarily these two: The levator ani, and the coccygeus muscle. the levator ani also forms part of the perineum, but it's primarily part of the deeper pelvic floor.

If you were to massage the pelvic floor with a tennis ball, therefore, it would be most effective to target the muscles just behind the anus, which are the levator ani. Massage just in front of the anus, and you'll likely hit the perineal body and the transverse perineal muscles, which are part of the perineum, not the pelvic floor. Given my negative experience of foam rolling fascia (pro tip: terrible idea), and the description of the perineal body as a 'fibromuscular mass', my personal advice would be that tennis balling the perineal body would be a similarly bad idea. Any further ahead than directly in front of the anus, and you'll be massaging the bulbocavernous muscles, which in terms of relaxing the pelvic floor itself, is pretty useless, from what I can tell.

So to hit the pelvic floor with a tennis ball, you'll wanna use it just behind the anus. Check the Wikipedia page for Perineum to see where the levator ani muscles are in relation to the anus in the male perineum. But to properly relax the pelvic floor, internal release from within the anus may be wiser, using something like a Therawand, to hit the deeper regions of the levator ani muscles. You'll see their anatomy, and how they're connected to the coccygeus muscles, if you look up the page for Pelvic Floor on Wikipedia.
      Last edited by SoraSora; 07-03-2018, 02:54 PM.

Comment

The pubococcygeus is the muscle normally associated with kegels, and the bulbocavernosus is associated with the standard reverse kegel.

Still, the pelvic floor muscles are woven together and not easy (nor always necessary) to isolate.

800px-1116_Muscle_of_the_Male_Perineum.jpg
        Last edited by Big Al; 07-03-2018, 03:55 PM.
        Want One FREE Month of Coaching? PM or email me for details- or CLICK HERE

The MeCoach Male Enhancement Coaching Service- For All of Your Male Enhancement Needs

25 years of experience in male enhancement now compiled into a 192 page instantly downloadable ebook -CLAIM YOURS HERE NOW for $7 (instead of $37)

Comment

It's easy to overthink this .
          Tennis ball massage is used in the general community for all sorts of muscles like the back so it's wide use can be of benifit .
          Onsite it is often used specifically fot the bulbo and isch muscles as in the diagram above . These can be reached through the taint area.

Comment

Thank you to all but now Iím
            A bit confused cause it seems there are contradictions as to where the tennis ball should be massaging. Where exactly should I be targeting? Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by hulkman View Post
              Thank you to all but now I’m
              A bit confused cause it seems there are contradictions as to where the tennis ball should be massaging. Where exactly should I be targeting? Thank you
              If you want to specifically target the pelvic floor muscles, my post should be of most use to you. Most of the muscles in front of the anus are part of the perineum, and are unlikely to be useful to massage. But do your own research too to see what you think.

Comment

Working...
              X