Wrong kind of warm up??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong kind of warm up??

The one mantra that is screamed from the PE mountain top is you must warm up to maximize gains and reduce injury risks. The mantra is true, but is the message wrong? Google all you want on the proper warm up techniques for lifting and you will find absolutely no mention of jumping into a sauna, hot tub or whirlpool. One school of thought says to warm up by doing a set or two of the exact same exercise you are about to do, only at less weight and reps. Many mention stretching and a little cardio. How does lifting accomplish stronger, larger muscles? Micro tears are created while lifting, and as these tears heal (through rest) your muscles become larger and stronger. How does PE work, by doing the same thing to smooth muscle as lifting does to your skeletal muscles.

Earlier points.
    In earlier posts I have argued that warming up as is usually thought of in PE is not as effective as believed. I am not a scientist so my views must be taken with a grain of salt, but who are the scientists that have prescribed applied heat for up to 20 minutes as the only true method? If you heat up the smooth muscle cells in your unit excessively, they will be more pliable - no argument here. But what that means is that you will have to exert more pressure than normal on them before you stress them. In other words, let's say I do a warm up for two minutes that consists of some light jelqing and rubbing motions on the shaft to encourage blood flow into the area, while you put a warm cloth or other heat source on it for 20 minutes. Now both of us exert the exact same jelqing technique and pressure, at the exact same erection level (on two identical penises). Because your unit has been excessively warmed, the jelqing you do does not stress the smooth muscle cells nearly as much as mine are stressed, because your smooth muscle cells are definitely more pliable than mine are. To my way of thinking then, I have had the better workout. For you to have the same effect would require even more blood and pressure being exerted then I did. Which sounds like a recipe for injury?

People are always hurting themselves. While no one can put a quantified number to this, I would guess that the five biggest reasons (in no particular order) are 1)improper technique; 2)too long of a routine; 3)not enough rest; 4)too intense of a routine; and 5)jumping into advanced exercises too early. Not warming up at all would fall after these. One might argue that not warming up will exacerbate the above list, but I am not saying we shouldn't warm up, only that I think people warm up too much. In fact, I believe that over warming can lead to injury simply because you need to do more to get more from those overly pliable cells.
    FL 6.0"/MFG 5.75", BPEL 7.00"/MEG 6.5"

The Ultimate Jelq (The UJ)
    The Ultimate V (The UV)
    Testicle Jelq (The TJ)
    Heated Bundled LAS
    Ultimate Warmup Exercise

Interesting thought rbi99. It makes sense to a certain extent. I'm wondering since skeletal muscle and smooth muscle are of different types if the same type of light warm up with exercises vs. rice sock or heating pad would apply in this instance? Like say doing 5 minutes of JAI stretches or Fowfers prior to a stretching routine to prepare the smooth muscle for a stretching routine, or light, quick jelqing to prepare for a jelqing routine. Like you say warm up, light exercises vs. just sitting there with some heat on your equipment? Definitely food for thought.

J
    Starting = 6.75" BPEL - 5.75" MSEG (Nov. '10)
    Max = 7.25" BPEL - 6.00" MSEG (Apr. '11)
    Current = 7.00" BPEL - 7.50" BPFSL (Jan. '13)
    My Workout Log

Comment

well the point of the op is good but we have to consider this: skeletal muscles and penis are different and the main purpose of warm up in PE is to prevent the veins and the arteries to be hurted... If a penis was made of smooth muscle and tunica alone we surely would get a more intense workout if the internal pressure is high that is less warm up time...
      S (31 MAR '11):BPFSL 19,5 cm;BPEL 18,7 cm;MSEG 14,1 cm;BEG 14,5 cm;EMS WIDTH 4,7 cm;left curve
      1 Feb. '12 : BPFSL 20,7; BPEL 19,7;MSEG 14;BG 14,5;MW 4,7;GLW 4,7;
      G
      BPEL 20 cm;MG 14,5 cm;WIDTH 4,8 cm

Comment

Originally posted by rbi99 View Post
        The one mantra that is screamed from the PE mountain top is you must warm up to maximize gains and reduce injury risks. The mantra is true, but is the message wrong? Google all you want on the proper warm up techniques for lifting and you will find absolutely no mention of jumping into a sauna, hot tub or whirlpool. One school of thought says to warm up by doing a set or two of the exact same exercise you are about to do, only at less weight and reps. Many mention stretching and a little cardio. How does lifting accomplish stronger, larger muscles? Micro tears are created while lifting, and as these tears heal (through rest) your muscles become larger and stronger. How does PE work, by doing the same thing to smooth muscle as lifting does to your skeletal muscles.

Earlier points.
        In earlier posts I have argued that warming up as is usually thought of in PE is not as effective as believed. I am not a scientist so my views must be taken with a grain of salt, but who are the scientists that have prescribed applied heat for up to 20 minutes as the only true method? If you heat up the smooth muscle cells in your unit excessively, they will be more pliable - no argument here. But what that means is that you will have to exert more pressure than normal on them before you stress them. In other words, let's say I do a warm up for two minutes that consists of some light jelqing and rubbing motions on the shaft to encourage blood flow into the area, while you put a warm cloth or other heat source on it for 20 minutes. Now both of us exert the exact same jelqing technique and pressure, at the exact same erection level (on two identical penises). Because your unit has been excessively warmed, the jelqing you do does not stress the smooth muscle cells nearly as much as mine are stressed, because your smooth muscle cells are definitely more pliable than mine are. To my way of thinking then, I have had the better workout. For you to have the same effect would require even more blood and pressure being exerted then I did. Which sounds like a recipe for injury?

People are always hurting themselves. While no one can put a quantified number to this, I would guess that the five biggest reasons (in no particular order) are 1)improper technique; 2)too long of a routine; 3)not enough rest; 4)too intense of a routine; and 5)jumping into advanced exercises too early. Not warming up at all would fall after these. One might argue that not warming up will exacerbate the above list, but I am not saying we shouldn't warm up, only that I think people warm up too much. In fact, I believe that over warming can lead to injury simply because you need to do more to get more from those overly pliable cells.
        I thought about the exact same thing yesterday. It's a question that will be hard to answer, because you really need to know what's giving the gains, and the mechanics behind it. If you look at material science (which I still believe is poor compare to the mechanics of the penis), when you apply heat, the force needed to get plastic deformation is a lot smaller. But it's truely a poor compare because material properties are all in function of the temperature. I really have no clue how that works with human living tissue. Learn more about elongation of elastin and collagen in the tunica, and that might give an explanation.
        Visit my log!

Comment

Aside from warming up making the area more pliable, it also increases blood flow to the area, which as we know is a good thing. The tissue isn't like it's going to be made extremely pliable and have to be stretched by a larger margin to accomplish the same results. Jelqing, stretching, or pumping as one normally would will still be enough pressure to accomplish their goals with or without warming up. With warming up, all of the tissue will be easier to expand making the workout more effective. For extra elasticity in the tissue, we're only talking about fractions of a millimeter for tissue. The big area of caution for not warming up properly are blood vessels and ligaments, which are best worked when warmed properly.

Smooth muscle doesn't work like skeletal muscle. The energy of contracting and consuming calories our skeletal muscles release when worked is transformed into heat, which warms the surrounding muscles, tissue, and ligaments as well as gets the blood flowing. This is why exercises involving skeletal muscle are best warmed up for by doing the same exercises or activities at a lighter pace. That way the muscles, tissue, and ligaments that could be worked get the warm-up.

We physically cannot control our smooth muscle to replicate how it normally works. Since we cannot do this, we're not increasing the work being done by smooth muscle even when stretching or jelqing and thus cannot increase what little energy it does consume, producing heat. Just like cardiac and other smooth muscle throughout the body, it gains it's heat from blood flow and heat put off by skeletal muscle (this is why squats actually are good for the male reproductive system).

Yes, doing some light jelqing can and will put some heat into the penile tissue, but really no more than just getting a boner would, and probably less than that. You'd be better off doing squats and running to warm up the penile tissue than to do light stretches, jelqs, or other PE exercises.

Comment

how about using a hair dyer for 5 to 10 minutes to warm up and heal anyone got any thoughts on that?

Comment

That doesn't sound like it would be too effective and would be easy to burn yourself since hair driers to get up to some pretty hot temperatures.

Comment

I hope I'm not the only one who does this. I make a big mug of tea, coffee or whatever and use the warm/hot cup to warm my cock up, I've been doing this for the last few days and its better than using a hot wash cloth because you have to keep reheating and I would say its better than a rice sock although i haven't tried one. Its more discreet, I can make a cup of tea and take it to my bedroom but if my Mam saw me putting a sock filled with rice in the microwave I think she would probably get me sectioned. lol

EDIT. I use the mug pressed on my penis, I don't dip it in lol. Just thought i'd better make it clearer.
                closeed258
                Last edited by closeed258; 05-06-2011, 04:59 PM.

Comment

147, thats a very original idea, rice socks are awsome but I understand that you dont want to get sectioned.
                  Going an inch and 1/2 deeper than before

Comment

This is a very interesting thread as I believe both mods have a very different perspective on the warm ups, both have made good points, RBI how do you feel about warming after a session. Do you believe that it is important for post workout recovery?

Comment

Originally posted by bigopimp98277 View Post
                      This is a very interesting thread as I believe both mods have a very different perspective on the warm ups, both have made good points, RBI how do you feel about warming after a session. Do you believe that it is important for post workout recovery?
                      Warming down after a workout is pretty important for rest and recovery and should be something everyone does. Relaxes the tissue and increases blood flow.

Comment

I do warm up before and after very well but I was just wondering what RBIs veiw on it was since he doesnt seem to be a big fan of warming up, I have tried without in the beginning and have since not only used warm ups to begin but have also increased my time to about 15 minutes with a rice sock, I feel that it has helped me alot and I dont feel ready without it, congrats on becomming a Mod by the way, much deserved

Comment

Thanks.
                          Just had to get my side of the discussion in.

Comment

for my warm up i hea for like 10-15 mins do helicopter spins. message the muscle on the public bone the sides and op of the penis and message the inside of the penis. i agee just a hot cloth is not the only thing u should have as a warm up but def a basis. i think the message is helping alot btw

Comment

My warm up has pretty much been this lately. Good to hear. I pretty much beat it enough to get hard so its warm, then let it go down and get up to my jelq level.
                              Start : 5.5 BP/4.5 NBP x 5 MEG
                              Now : 5.5 BP/4.5 NBP x 4.75ish MEG

Comment

Working...
                              X