Omega-3s from Flaxseed or Fish Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omega-3s from Flaxseed or Fish Oil?

Recently, I've been taking Udo's Oil (1 tbs per day) after reading how deficient most of us are at getting Omega-3's in our diet. Omega-3 fatty acids, among other benefits, enhance circulation by dilating small vessels, which is essential to EQ. These fatty-acids are also beneficial in the regeneration process that occurs as a result of PE (which is how we all get bigger!).

Now I'm starting to research Omega-3s and I'm finding conflicting information for using these fatty-acids as a supplement for PE.

First, Omega-3s found in Flaxseed oils (like Udo's) are composed mainly of ALA fatty acids. However, it's the DHA and EPA fatty acids which the body needs to improve cardiovascular performance. Supposedly, ALA converts to DHA and EPA in the body. But the rate of conversion seems controversial. Additionally, Flaxseed oils contain phytoestrogens, which may fool the body into thinking they are estrogens. Although testosterone levels may not be affected, there seems to be conflicting information as to whether or not this occurs.

So, that's a few marks against using Flaxseed oils as your source for Omega-3s.

Fish oils seem like the best solution. Fish oils contain DHA and EPA in varying proportions. Supplementing with fish oil tablets or 4-5 servings of fatty fish per week in the diet would seem to be the best solution. However, there is a very real danger of methylmercury contamination in both supplements and fish (mercury poisoning). Methylmercury, is a highly toxic compound which has profoundly deleterious effects on both the cardiovascular and nervous system. So essentially, if your fish oils are contaminated, you've completely defeated the purpose of taking them in the first place and also exposed yourself to long-term harm.

So how do you decide? Does anyone know of a trustworthy supplier of fish oil tablets? Or is it best to go with Flaxseed?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    DATE- JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN JUL
    BPFSL 5.5 5.8 OFF 5.8 6.0 OFF 6.0
    BPEL- --- --- --- 6.1 6.3 --- 6.1
    MSEG- 5.4 --- --- 5.4 --- --- ---

You can buy filtered fish oil but it is expensive. Otherwise look at the location the fish were gathered from and source from a low pollution enviroment.

Comment

Costco carries several mercury purified fish oil supplements. Nature Made 1200mg 375 capsules $15.39 and Kirkland 1200mg 180 capsules $15.39 one review said 410 mg EPA and 274 mg DHA for the Kirkland and another said 432 mg EPA and 288 mg DHA for the Nature Made. I've not verified these numbers.
      Doing the JP90

Stats
      6/20/11 - BPEL: 5.5 x 5.25 - Flaccid: 2.5 x 3.5
      8/24/11 - BPEL: 6.0 x 5.5 - Flaccid: 4.0 x 4.5

Comment

Originally posted by ed57 View Post
        Costco carries several mercury purified fish oil supplements. Nature Made 1200mg 375 capsules $15.39 and Kirkland 1200mg 180 capsules $15.39 one review said 410 mg EPA and 274 mg DHA for the Kirkland and another said 432 mg EPA and 288 mg DHA for the Nature Made. I've not verified these numbers.
        Do you know if these oils are filtered or from areas of the world with low mercury content?

Comment

You are perfectly right about flaxseed and other plant based sources of Omega-3's. They mostly provide ALA which, like you said, does not have a very good conversion rate to EPA and DHA, which fish oils have directly in them.

Salmon oils and ,more recently krill oil are the best sources. Although since krill oil is relatively new on the big market I would stick to the salmon omega-3 oil. Also, sardines, salmon, and mackeral are all great to work into your diet as well.

Comment

Originally posted by User235 View Post
            Do you know if these oils are filtered or from areas of the world with low mercury content?
            Both are filtered to remove mercury.

Kirkland Signature Fish Oil supply comes from deep ocean waters. Our fish oil is not supplied from farm-raised fish. State-of-the-art molecular distillation is used to remove PCBs and dioxins which guarantees purity and potency. Mercury levels are undetectable, less than 0.1 parts per million.

Calories 10, Calories from Fat 10, Total Fat 1 g - 2%, Cholesterol 10 mg - 3%, Fish Oil Concentrate 1200 mg, Omega 3 EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid)(as ethyl esters) 410 mg - **, Omega 3 DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid (as ethyl esters) 274 mg - **.
            ed57
            Last edited by ed57; 07-19-2011, 08:45 PM.
            Doing the JP90

Stats
            6/20/11 - BPEL: 5.5 x 5.25 - Flaccid: 2.5 x 3.5
            8/24/11 - BPEL: 6.0 x 5.5 - Flaccid: 4.0 x 4.5

Comment

Thanks Ed, I'll check out Costco here. I also noticed that Amazon offers the Kirkland Signature Fish Oil (400 softgels) for $11.69 (and with the exchange rate it's REALLY cheap for us here in Australia!).

Comment

Working...
              X