fasting/dry fasting for recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fasting/dry fasting for recovery

there are quite a few people that swear by fasting and/or dry fasting as a means to allow the body to heal and detoxify itself. I have personally used dry fasting for a number of things such as to relieve back pain and to help with kicking the habit of smoking. since injuries come here and there with PE, and breaks/rest days are a normal part of PE routines; I was wondering if anyone has had experience with incorporating fasting into their training regimen to either aid in recovery from an injury or to optimize gains.

it seems illogical because your whole life you are taught that recovery is dependent on that which you consume such as increased water intake or anti-inflammatory meds. but reading through testimonials and research on the subject shows that when dry fasting, the body goes into a shut-down-and-repair/detox mode... AND not to mention the fact that intermittent fasting has been shown to make testosterone levels shoot through the roof. win/win.

I am going to start incorporating intermittent fasting (consuming fluids only), but with my experience with dry fasting, you do not really start to feel the effects until around 36 hours in so I am only going to plan on using it if I encounter any kind of injury.

I've been eating 1 meal per day (95+% of the time) for about 6 months now, so that is about 22 hrs of fasting each day. I read "The Warrior Diet" and decided to tweak it and just do intermittent fasting every day. I do take fish oil and a teaspoon of coconut oil in the morning. I only drink water or herbal tea during the day and eat a large meal at supper time. I have noticed that my recover time after my workouts (body workouts not PE) have been shorter. I'll have to pay attention to my PE recovery.
    (Late 1999): 6" BPEL x 5.25" MSEG
    (Early 2001): 7" BPEL x 5.75"MSEG (mostly Hanging/Jelqing)
    Aug 16th 2015: 7.375" BPEL x 6" MSEG
    Goal: I have retired from PE - So my goal is just maintaining.

Comment

I fast about once a week, sometimes more as part of my overall health routine. I've long suspected that it might be beneficial to PE. Seems I'm not the only one!
      Start 1/1/2014: BPEL 6.5 MEG 5
      Current: BPEL 6.7 MEG ??? (Haven't measured, don't care.)
      Goal
      : BPEL 8 MEG 6

Comment

Fasting can be very beneficial- provided that you do it right and take into account any health issues you may currently have.
        Want a FREE Month of Coaching? PM or email me for details- or CLICK HERE

The MeCoach Male Enhancement Coaching Service- For All of Your Male Enhancement Needs

Comment

Steve, I think this is a great idea. Be sure to record yourself carefully.

How long were you planning on doing this for?
          "Know the rules well, so that you may properly break them" - The Dalai Lama
          Do not criticize the seed for not yet being a tree.
          Character is destiny - Sigmund Freud
          As long as I have breath in my lungs, I will make this happen

Comment

very interesting.
            BPEL 6.25. May 11 '14
            EG ~6

BPEL 6.50. May 18 '14
            EG ~6

Comment

I do this just not as religiously as I should, there have been some great studies on this, I posted a video in the interesting video's thread you may find interesting.

This guy suggests you don't have to completely starve on your fast days, just limit your calorie intake to 600 calories for men and 450 I think for women.

He also suggests the benefits extend far beyond weight loss and health, there are hints that fasting may cause the body to produce new brain cells, I could always use a few more of those.

https://www.pegym.com/forums/gym/718...tml#post858733
              burtybasset
              Retired Moderator
              Member of the Month May 2014
              PEGym Hero
              Last edited by burtybasset; 05-22-2014, 06:21 PM. Reason: punctuation
              "Those who know others have knowledge,
              those who know themselves have insight.
              Those who master others have force,
              those who master themselves have strength". - Lao Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Jacobs View Post
                I read "The Warrior Diet" and decided to tweak it and just do intermittent fasting every day.
                Hey I did exactly this for three months earlier this year,
                i found that recovery times were quicker,
                however my girth gains REALLY slowed - this is just in my own case.

You should post your results with fasting when you're really into it hey,
                would be curious if it's just me.

EDIT: Intermittent fasting really works well though - lost alot of weight and felt real good,
                but felt like i was lacking energy after around that 3 month mark.. but try it OP, you might really love it.
                Clamz
                Last edited by Clamz; 05-22-2014, 06:15 PM.
                2008: ~ 5.8 BPEL x 4.3 MEG.
                2012: ~ 5.8 BPEL x 4.7 MEG.
                (((stopped)))
                2018, February: ~ 5.8 BPEL x 4.7 MEG.

Comment

Look into combining your fast with a detoxifying "cleanse" for maximum effect.

The MeCoach Male Enhancement Coaching Service- For All of Your Male Enhancement Needs

Comment

I like food too much.
                    League of Legends ​/ Top Performers / Pull the Chute

My Log / KITJ / KITV / Phallosan Tips / 2014 Challenge Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by kickinthemebs View Post
                      I like food too much.
                      All the more reason to do the occasional fast and cleanse. As you get older and your digestive system becomes more fickle, maintaining regularity and cleaning it out becomes more of an active process.

Comment

I myself have been intermittently fasting for almost a year.
                        Studies have shown it reduces cortisol and allows for an increase in fat loss, especially when doing fasted training, cardio. I still eat alot, eat sweets, and since I ended my bulk at 218lbs in January I've lost 18lbs and maintained my strength by just cutting calories. I treat PE as I do actual bodybuilding so if i get out of work at noon:

12-1330: workout time
                        1330-1400: Cardio
                        1400-1600: Dedicated PE and Edging
                        1600-2200: Eating window

Its not bad once you get used to it.
                        My Journey!
                        04/28/14 - 6/23/17
                        NBFL 3.75 - 4.8in
                        BPEL ~5.84 - 7.1in
                        MEG 5.12 - 5.5in

Comment

Originally posted by Toadstool View Post
                          Steve, I think this is a great idea. Be sure to record yourself carefully.

How long were you planning on doing this for?
                          I am going to be doing it once/maybe 1 and a half days per week at least until August (combined with a workout routine since I am wanting to drop about 30 pounds for cycling while maintaining muscle mass). the thing that got me started was that I had to do some bloodwork for a routine physical and there was a fasting period involved with that so I figured that I would roll it over into an actual change in eating habit. I used to only do dry fasting as needed but more and more reading shows that intermittent fasting can be even more beneficial.

and yes... before you start up a routine like this, be sure to have a talk with your doctor if you feel as though it has the potential to be a threat to your overall well being.

I'll note negative changes in mood, eq, and other indicators.
                          sssssteve
                          Last edited by sssssteve; 05-23-2014, 07:00 AM.

Comment

A timely article: Fasting for three days can regenerate entire immune system, study finds - Telegraph

Comment

awesome... it feels good when they let in a trickle of research on the subject instead of promoting disinformation.

Comment

Working...
                              X