Squat variants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squat variants

It strikes me there are three effects of squat that we have an interest in .
    Firstly deep squats stretch the pelvic floor ,so a rk type effect .
    Second squats especially weighted cause a core effect for stabilisation that includes kegel this effect is more noticeable weighted .
    Third the strengthening effect on the posterior chain. Ok this third point needs some explain . In the modern western world the muscle in the front of the body tends to get stronger than those in the back ,so muscles like the hip flexor can be strong relative to the ass . This can cause them to be tense and pull the pelvis forward putting strain on the pelvic floor .

The most popular squat onsite is the Hindi squat, this is a prime variant for stretch effect , done unweighted wide and low, sometimes even with rk done in the bottom position . However it has less kegel and posterior chain effect.

Weighted squats when done low have some rk effect but as they elicit a strong kegel this is more limited than in the hindi squat. They have a posterior chain strengthening effect the benefit of which tends to be underrated on site.
    Overhead squat increases kegel effect.
    Balance squats have a different neuromuscular effect than standard squats and I recommend them.
    Lunges would stretch the hip flexor as well as having similar benefits to squat.

https://www.pegym.com/forums/prematu...iscussion.html

Comment

Would this then infer that bodybuilders, powerlifters etc would probably have really strong pelvic floors? Or does sheer weight, volume, and so forth equate to a strong pelvic floor when it comes to squatting?

I have also heard that women have far stronger pelvic floors in cultures that do not have westernised toileting systems, whereby they are required to literally squat over when going to the toilet. This is all just conjecture though, and I do not have any evidence to back it up.

I have noticed that my EQ is slightly better or rather it is more consistent when I keep squats as part of my weekly routine (unfortunately I have been slacking with the ol' barbell lately though). Overhead squats in particular, as you mentioned, it is almost like you are performing a reverse squat the whole way through it due to the tensing up of the lower body to ensure perfect form is performed. This is even more so that regular squats because overheads seem to force me to engage my core and posterior chain a lot more than regular or front squats.
      League of Legends ​/ Top Performers / Pull the Chute

My Log / KITJ / KITV / Phallosan Tips / 2014 Challenge Statistics

Comment

Yes I think heavy squats cause oly lifters powerlifters etc to have a strong pelvic floor . However strength is not the only issue with pelvic floor .
        I do believe people in asia tend to have stronger pf due to the toilet system there . I agree with your comments re overhead squats .

Anyone into side to side lunges?

Comment

I use side lunges as part of a stretching routine. These are unweighted. I am doing a lot of stretching, and think it is helping my back pain issues. As a side note this has been helping my pelvic floor. Stretches that don't specifically target the PF have been helping that area. IE lower back, upper thigh area has benefits in PF area.
          ALL THE WAY WITH GOOD OLE JAY!

Comment

I suspect side to side lunge has a fairly direct pf effect but in a different way than squats . Back pain and pelvic floor issues are often related.

Comment

This is rally great guys into overhead squats and side to side lunges answering the thread !

Anyone into balance squats?

Comment

Great Thread Pegasus!

I would suggest as you doing these squats concentrate on your breathing control. Breath control is critical for increasing and maintaining the structural integrity of torso while under weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7vqMBQlvSM

This is a great video where she explains breathing control and why its important.

Personally I do a lot of skating drills for hockey. But overhead squat is one of my consistent routines that I do twice a week.

This is a great demonstration on how to do it properly especially your arm position at the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqnxSlyvr-k
                Started Sept 2014: BPEL 7.25...EG 5.30
                Current: BPEL 8.65...BPFSL 9.25...MEG 5.75...BEG 5.9
                Goal: BPEL 9.0....EG 6.0

Comment

I wonder would this idea about squats also transfer over into other activities as well, such as sports involving a lot of pelvic floor activity? One that springs to mind is skiing as you are pretty much doing squats for most of it. Or something like a martial arts with a heavy emphasis on kicking (such as muay thai or kickboxing)?

I don't do side lunges or normal lunges. I don't particularly enjoy doing them when I did do them.
                  League of Legends ​/ Top Performers / Pull the Chute

My Log / KITJ / KITV / Phallosan Tips / 2014 Challenge Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by finlandia View Post
                    Great Thread Pegasus!

I would suggest as you doing these squats concentrate on your breathing control. Breath control is critical for increasing and maintaining the structural integrity of torso while under weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7vqMBQlvSM

This is a great video where she explains breathing control and why its important.

Personally I do a lot of skating drills for hockey. But overhead squat is one of my consistent routines that I do twice a week.

This is a great demonstration on how to do it properly especially your arm position at the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqnxSlyvr-k
                    My arm position is less than perfect due to lack of shoulder flexibility re overhead ,still one does ones best .

Comment

Re posterior chain many other exercises would have benefit.

Comment

I am not familiar with the balance squat. Can you describe it?

Comment

Ok an example would be turn a boku ball upside down and stand on the flat side . This is now an unstable surface to do squats on challenging balance and activating the pf.

Comment

Thanks Pegasus, I do not do these any more. I am way too unsteady. I tried standing on a medicine ball because my son challenged me. After they picked me up and made sure I was not actually dead the family had quite a laugh.

Comment

Wishfull,pegesus are you guys talking about ordinary workout or arr you in recovery? How long etc?

Comment

Working...
                              X