Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Padawan's paleo diet log

Anyone tried the paleo diet?

Looks quite cool to be honest, I think I might try Although I would greatly miss bread and pasta!

Thoughts, anecdotes, experience, opinions?

EDIT: I've moved this to the progress forum and changed the thread title, I'm actually going to use this thread to note what I eat and track my progress
    Padawan787
    Moderator Reserve
    PEGym Hero
    Last edited by Padawan787; 11-07-2012, 04:38 AM.
    My progress log

No bread and pasta means I would probably starve to death.

Comment

I know yeah, but you get loads of fat, protein, and minerals + vitamins on the diet I think I'm going to try it for a few months! It sounds cool anyway, and bread is real killer for weight!!

I'm trying desperately to get rid of that tiny last bit of fat that hides my abs, I've usually never had to work at it, so long as I did sport I'd have abs, but not this time
      My progress log

Comment

I dunno the specifics about paleo, but if it's anything like the atkins/low carb variety, it's your best bet at attaining a 6 pack.

When you starve your body of carbohydrates (it's primary fuel source), it has to shift into ketosis which means your body no longer burns carbs for energy, but your own stored body fat cells. During the first 2 weeks of a "strict" diet of no carbs/sugars, 20 grams or less per day, you can lose 1 lb per day! Some of that will be water weight, but the inches melt off fast!

I'm about to go on another round of low-carb starting tomorrow, looking to drop 15 lbs in 2-3 weeks. Eat lots of Eggs, Tuna, Fish, chicken, beef, salad, bacon, sausage, cottage cheese and other assorted dairy cheese, peanut butter (low sugar), celery, green beans, broccoli, other low carb veggies. The hardest part for me is not drinking any beer since I love my micro brews but they kill any sort of diet.

Good luck to you in your diet adventures. Just be warned, within the first week of putting your body into ketosis can result in insomnia (It always gives me bad insomnia for the first week), so keep a sleep aid handy for those restless nights. Also bad breath can be a result of ketosis, but I have never experienced this.

Take a multivitamin as well just to be sure your body is getting the necessary minerals/vitamins while dieting, one with iron/magnesium is preferred.

Comment

Right, so I've just done my first batch of paleo shopping

Lots of meat and vegetables!

The only thing I'll be "cheating" on is coffee (1 in the morning), some milk in my coffee, some cheese (because it's fucking delicious), some yoghurt, and green tea.

07/11/2012

So, first meal of the day: Huge omelette with onions, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, bacon, grated cheese, and a big cup of coffee

Snacks: 2 kiwis

Second meal: Steak with onions, peppers, mushrooms. + 1 yoghurt afterwards.

4 cups of green tea throughout the day + 2 glasses of water

REMARKS: Feeling quite hungry, despite eating large today portions, my body isn't reacting very well to a lack of carbs, I feel absolutely fine, just a bit hungry

I need more variety in my vegetables, I bought onions, peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms. The list below isn't complete, I only noted things that I like, so I'm going to have to discover more veg!
          Padawan787
          Moderator Reserve
          PEGym Hero
          Last edited by Padawan787; 11-07-2012, 02:08 PM.
          My progress log

Comment

Originally posted by sandiego27 View Post
            I dunno the specifics about paleo, but if it's anything like the atkins/low carb variety, it's your best bet at attaining a 6 pack.
            Thanks for commenting

The paleo diet is low carb, usually. It tries to mimic the paleolithic diet, what our hunter-gatherer ancestors used to eat basically. The thinking behind it is that we were hunter-gatherers for hundreds of thousands of years, but we only started farming and agriculture 11000 years ago so genetically we aren't adapted for a modern palette.

It's all about eating stuff that our ancestors had access to, and "unleashing our genetic potential" (which is just a marketing phrase). However, it does sort of make sense, eating what we are genetically adapted to eat is better than eating whatever is most convenient, or at our disposal.

So, I won't be eating any cereals, very little dairy, nothing processed, and nothing that doesn't occur in nature (no sweets, soft drinks, or other modern crap). The only things I'll miss are Coke and bread, other than that I'll be fine

This is my shopping list, I won't be buying all of this every week, but this is what I can choose from:

Vegetables

Avocados
            Bell peppers
            Carrots
            Cucumber
            Garlic
            Mushrooms
            Olives
            Onions
            Lettuce
            Tomatoes

Extra protein + starch on training days

Potatoes/sweet potatoes (occasionally)
            Rice (occasionally)

Meat + fish

Salmon
            Tuna
            Cod
            Mackerel
            Prawns

Beef
            Chicken
            Pork
            Duck
            Rabbit
            Turkey
            Bacon (Mmmmmmm)

Eggs

Nuts

Almonds
            Sunflower seeds

Cooking oil

Olive oil
            sesame oil
            Coconut oil/milk

Fruit

Apple
            Banana
            Melon
            Cherries
            Grapes
            Kiwi
            Orange
            Peach
            Pineapple
            Strawberry

Other (mostly occasionally)

Green tea
            Full fat cream
            Cheese
            Coffee
            Yoghurt
            Dark chocolate
            My progress log

Comment

8/11/2012

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, fried mushrooms, and a kiwi + Coffee

Lunch: Nothing (too busy studying )

Snack: Kiwi + some smoked salmon

Dinner: I'm about to make Burgers, bacon, and fried eggs, with some fried sweet potatoes, coupled with a tomato and onion relish I'll have a yoghurt afterwards.

After dinner: 2 cups of green tea

REMARKS: Hungry as fuck all day, but not because of the diet, just because I didn't eat! Can't wait to have my dinner
              Padawan787
              Moderator Reserve
              PEGym Hero
              Last edited by Padawan787; 11-08-2012, 04:42 PM.
              My progress log

Comment

You will be hungry at the start of the diet because your body is like, wtf wheres my carbs man? The trick is to drink lots of water. Whenever you feel hungry, drink a tall glass of water and you won't feel hungry anymore, at least for awhile. Also it's best to eat like 6 times a day rather than 2-3, your glucose levels won't spike as much which is what triggers the hunger response.

Honestly though, after a week or two of low-carbing, you will notice that your not really hungry. Your body adapts and you will actually eat less without the hunger pains. Energy levels sky rocket too! This is when the insomnia can kick in. The best part is eating a full meal and not feeling sluggish/lethargic afterwards like most carb rich meals make you feel.

Comment

You will be hungry at the start of the diet because your body is like, wtf wheres my carbs man? The trick is to drink lots of water.
                  Yeah, the paleo community call it carb-flu or something like that, hopefully it will pass soon

Whenever you feel hungry, drink a tall glass of water and you won't feel hungry anymore, at least for awhile. Also it's best to eat like 6 times a day rather than 2-3, your glucose levels won't spike as much which is what triggers the hunger response.
                  I can't, I spend more time at the library than I do at home because I have exams very soon Eating Paleo on-the-go is quite difficult too, since everything has starch! I'll be bringing some nuts and jerky with me tomorrow as a snack, the fat from the meat should be quite filling

Honestly though, after a week or two of low-carbing, you will notice that your not really hungry. Your body adapts and you will actually eat less without the hunger pains. Energy levels sky rocket too! This is when the insomnia can kick in. The best part is eating a full meal and not feeling sluggish/lethargic afterwards like most carb rich meals make you feel.
                  I hope so, I'm not overly worried though, an adaptation period is to be expected The only thing I'm dreading is rugby training next week! I'll eat some fruit beforehand for a glucose spike
                  My progress log

Comment

09/11/2012

Breakfast: Omelette with onions, mushrooms and peppers + I thick slice of bacon + 1 kiwi + 1 coffee with full fat cream instead of milk.

Lunch: Veal steak, full fat cream sauce.

Snack: 2 squares of Dark chocolate (85%) + coffee

Dinner: About to have pan-fried salmon done with coconut milk, onions, broccoli + a salad.

I'll have green tea later on, and I might have a kiwi.

REMARKS: I felt great all day, and I was instantly awake the second that my alarm went off this morning, looks like my carb-flu and hunger pains are over
                    My progress log

Comment

Nice! Keep up the good work and the lbs will literally fall off, started my diet 2 days ago and I'm having similar results.

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs
                      Lunch: Low-Carb wrap with turkey/ham/cheese/mustard + another hardboiled egg
                      Afternoon snack: Cottage Cheese
                      Dinner: Chicken breast wrapped in bacon and stuffed with cheese, side of green beans.
                      Late nite snack: Peanut Butter on some Celery sticks
                      Also trying to drink 8 glasses of water a day.

I woke up 30 minutes earlier than my alarm today, that never happens!

Comment

The great thing about this way of eating is that the correct macronutrient ratio just seems to occur by itself I don't actually need to think about what I eat so long as I avoid starches, grains etc.

I've been using fitday (FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal) to track what I've been eating, it calculates your macronutrient ratio, and tells you about your vitamin + mineral RDA It's really great!

Without putting much thought into what I've been eating, so long as it's Paleo, I get roughly 60% fat, 20-25% protein, and 15-20% carbs every day without having to plan out meals

Hopefully the morning energy will continue, I was genuinely shocked when I woke up this morning, as usually I'm a zombie until my coffee and shower.
                        My progress log

Comment

Hey Padawan787, love your logs man they're great!

Was just wondering does this diet contribute to healthy skin? Especially people with oily skin? I was thinking of trying this but I dunno :/ Accutane seems to be an easier option haha! (No dieting then)

One more question are you Irish? Lol just an educated guess!
                          Current stats
                          6.8" NBPEL
                          7" BPEL
                          4.9" MSEG

Short term goal
                          7.5" NBPEL
                          5.5" MSEG

Long term goal
                          8.5" NBPEL
                          6" MSEG

"You're as big as you feel" - Stuart Little :plane:

Comment

Thanks for stopping by

Yes I'm Irish how could you tell?

Some people have attributed healthier skin to the paleo diet, but it is likely due to removing dairy from their diet as a lot of people are unknowingly lactose or casein intolerant. I'm technically doing a Primal diet, as I haven't completely cut out dairy.

The best bet for clearer skin is daily exfoliation, and having "James Bond" showers in the morning. A James Bond shower starts hot (which opens and cleanses your pores), and then gradually gets colder as you turn the water down to freezing (This then closes the now clean pores), if you decrease the temperature gradually enough you'll be able to stand the cold no problem
                            My progress log

Comment

Scan, that's class haha I'm Irish too
                              Well in your training log I remember you said you were going to have a "full Irish breakfast" that got me thinking, pure fluke that you actually are

James Bond shower? Ha I'll definitely give that a go thanks!

Tá mé bródúil as a bheith nGaeilge.
                              Current stats
                              6.8" NBPEL
                              7" BPEL
                              4.9" MSEG

Short term goal
                              7.5" NBPEL
                              5.5" MSEG

Long term goal
                              8.5" NBPEL
                              6" MSEG

"You're as big as you feel" - Stuart Little :plane:

Comment

Working...
                              X