is marriage a dying practise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is marriage a dying practise?

I'm a young man so I supose this is relavant to my future, and others from the younger generation.

I was wondering of everyones opinion on the future of marriage. Will it continue? Purhaps get less comman? Maybe even increase in popularity?
    Marriage has been around for eons. But now a days divorce is just so comman, this makes me wonder whether people will rather not have a relationship with one partner, but rather experience life with more than one.

I mean, you can meet someone that you really love but maybe 5, 10, 15 years down the line things fall apart. But this is understandable as people change, the interests, the life goals and ambitions etc and most of all a persons personality might change to a certain degree.

A few years/decades ago it was inconceivable for a woman to have a child without being married. (In most cases)
    I personally think that in todays day and age.. A man and a woman can have children together without ever getting married. And this is socially acceptable. If you think how many single parents raise children on their own. Although I'm nt suggesting that a man/woman simply walk away from the responsibilty of raising a child but rather stay together with his/her partner as a married couple would. (Except without the being married part)

This eliminates the heavy legal issues involved in a divorce. But I supose the other side of the story, there could be a lot more abandoned children.
    Another reason why marriage could continue is because of religion.

Any one that has a opinion can share it.

Again, the question: is marriage dying and are we entering a age of 'life partners'

Well seems in some/most? places the divorce rate is higher and higher each year and more people having children and living together without being married, I guess they don't see a point in marriage? TBH I don't know really.
    Me personally I would like to be married in the future and have kids with someone I want to spend the rest of my life with, current GF seems to be the one(Or so we think) I find even if I want to spend my life with them, why not get married then, to me it seems like its 'sealing the deal' Heh.

Comment

i think it is, im 29 never been engaged and never found a woman that i really felt was marriage material. i did consider asking some of my exs, one was still in love with her ex, one was sleeping around and the other turned out to be a total head fuck. it seems to me that all women want these days is cock, money, houses...

i firmly believe, girls dont like boys, girls like cars and money.

i would absolutley love to find me a good wife...but hey, maybe im not destined to be that happy.

im having a miserable day by the way....but i still believe marriage is dead..
      When your the inventor of the three "ooks" you just know you got it going on...

Dont forget to REP if you like my posts....

Comment

Originally posted by blulite View Post
        i think it is, im 29 never been engaged and never found a woman that i really felt was marriage material. i did consider asking some of my exs, one was still in love with her ex, one was sleeping around and the other turned out to be a total head fuck. it seems to me that all women want these days is cock, money, houses...

i firmly believe, girls dont like boys, girls like cars and money.

i would absolutley love to find me a good wife...but hey, maybe im not destined to be that happy.

im having a miserable day by the way....but i still believe marriage is dead..

True I met more than enough of those that are only interested in cars and money, and not money to be financially stable but to buy tons of un-needed $hit. But theres still lots of good girls/women out there, just need to find them
        Girls used to turn into women now many just turn into bitches, from help of the media and all.

Comment

it pisses me off that i keep finding these sort of women. makes me feel that im on the shelf or something. or only wanted for sex, money, cars etc... i to have had my fair share of these sort of women. im nearly 30 and have yet to find a decent woman... at this rate ill be dead before im married.
          When your the inventor of the three "ooks" you just know you got it going on...

Dont forget to REP if you like my posts....

Comment

I guess it depends on how you portray yourself, who you hang out with, etc. that will determine who you attract.

I was married for 7 years, recently divorced, though I still believe in marriage and that it can last forever. It takes a lot of work, and I think I just didn't live married life correctly. Although I still believe my ex-wife is a fantastic person and we're helping each other grow and learn from our failed marriage, I also feel that there are plenty of marriage-worthy women around me; you just have to get good at filtering out the immature ones.

My failed marriage didn't destroy my faith in the institution of marriage; it showed me how NOT to keep a marriage going. Now I get another chance and hopefully can make it last longer, maybe for the rest of my life...
            Starting (3/14/2011) = 5" x 4"
            Current (7/16/2013) = 5.75" x 4.125"

Short-Term Goal = BPEL 6"
            Long-Term Goal = 7.5" x 5.5"

Comment

I think ppl do want to get married but there's so much propaganda against marriage that ppl just brush it off. I want to get married and have children and have a good ol' life, but do i fool myself that it's going to be easy, hell no. What I have noticed is that the more women strive to be "Independent" the more they push off relationships and family. I have met multiple females that rather work than have a relationship. The family institution is and has been dying, sad state of affairs if you ask me.
              06/01/11 NBPEL: 6 in. X 5.5 In.
              Short Term Goal (Hopefully less then 1 year) NBPEL: 7 In. X 6 In.

Comment

If you look at other species, you generally see that marriage-like pair bonding is strongest in species which need to rely on the support of a member of the opposite gender to raise offspring (penguins) and weakest in animals that only need the genetic material and can raise children on their own (like seals and dear). These animals tend to be tournament species in which a minority of the males father almost all the children.

From a human perspective, the reduction in income disparity between males and females means that females no longer have to permanently shackle themselves to an average/so-so male with an average paycheck in order to obtain adequate resources and are therefore free to pick either the best (genetic) males and/or ones that have a much more significant income- provided they don't mind sharing them.
                I predict that human males will gradually become the 'display' gender (as with many species), spending far, far more time & resources on looking good through things like clothes, body-altering drugs, weightlifting and PE. The fraction of males that successfully pass on their genetic material will drop (in seals it is about 15%) and successful fathers will also spend significant time & money prepping their male offspring in order that they will be selected by females.
                Starting stats: BPEL: 6.5" EG 4.5"

Aim: BPEL: 7.5" EG 5.5"

Would ideally want BPEL: 8.0" EG 6"

Comment

Considering the current cost of raising children, I would argue that the increased income of women does not necessarily mean that they can afford to raise children on their own.

Single parents face huge problems in finances, especially when compared to married parents when both are income-producing. Modern cost to raise a child is over double what it was in the 50's (even after adjusting for inflation), so now even married parents with 2 incomes have a harder time financially than single-income married families from 50 years ago.

My mother's college tuition was $500/year back in 1963. Mine was $10,000/year in 1999. This is the same school system (Univ of CA), but inflation did not cause all prices to increase 20-fold.
                  Starting (3/14/2011) = 5" x 4"
                  Current (7/16/2013) = 5.75" x 4.125"

Short-Term Goal = BPEL 6"
                  Long-Term Goal = 7.5" x 5.5"

Comment

Marriage is an Economic Partnership to Raise a Child

Marriage is an economic partnership to raise a child.

This was what it was for millennial time spans.

It was not about "love," which is why ARRANGED marriages are the historical norm.

We live in an era and place (OECD, late 20th century, early 21st) of tremendous material abundance.

And this has shifted marriage into something more amorphous.

Something like a "BFF" wring or something.

There are two trends in men I notice regarding marriage.

1. The type of 'stable' careers that marriages were built on during previous eras are no longer widely available. Men who do not feel secure in their income tend not to get married. Even college educated are finding their careers are often on a short term contract.

2. Men are doing less marrying and more long term co-habitation/long term bf/gf types.

I think the problem comes when the women "wants" to have a child.

Women are often are 'okay' (not ideal, but okay) if there is no father at the point.

And the father generally does not have the type of income stability to really support a child anyway.

So they go into single parenthood.

Supporting each other informally and often.

But not getting the marriage that they may have even 10 years ago.

Comment

Marriage is not a problem,the problem is people have less and less kids,what is the average 1?less than 1?.Abortion is rampant.If we continue this way this will be the end of humanity.Abortion should have never been legalised,it is a sin, a crime,the most ruthless and evil act a human can do yet humans were programmed that it is normal.It makes me vomit just thinkin about it.my tip is GIVE BIRTH, have 3,4 children!!!Gypsies have more than 7 children and yet non of them starves!!If a woman wants one only one kid do not marry her.

Comment

Who are you; the Pope?

Originally posted by Sidewinder.a7x View Post
                        Marriage is not a problem,the problem is people have less and less kids,what is the average 1?less than 1?.Abortion is rampant.If we continue this way this will be the end of humanity.Abortion should have never been legalised,it is a sin, a crime,the most ruthless and evil act a human can do yet humans were programmed that it is normal.It makes me vomit just thinkin about it.my tip is GIVE BIRTH, have 3,4 children!!!Gypsies have more than 7 children and yet non of them starves!!If a woman wants one only one kid do not marry her.
                        Wow.

Catholic Church up in here!

Comment

Historically people generally had lots of kids whether they really wanted to or not, but with the advent of easy contraception people are free to have as few/many as they want. This means there is now in place a very strong evolutionary selection pressure against 'not wanting lots of kids', so I predict that in a few generations the problem will solve itself.
                          Starting stats: BPEL: 6.5" EG 4.5"

Aim: BPEL: 7.5" EG 5.5"

Would ideally want BPEL: 8.0" EG 6"

Comment

Muslims got this one right. Check out the rate of population growth in Middle-Eastern countries that are predominantly Islamic. Also check out America's growth rate. No country has ever remained a super power with one so low.

Comment

Not really true

Originally posted by should've started sooner View Post
                              Historically people generally had lots of kids whether they really wanted to or not, but with the advent of easy contraception people are free to have as few/many as they want. This means there is now in place a very strong evolutionary selection pressure against 'not wanting lots of kids', so I predict that in a few generations the problem will solve itself.
                              Contraception was practiced before modern medicine.

In many many parts of the world.

And infant killing was (is) a routine practice in much of the world.

Also; the human population on the planet for a LONG LONG time was under 1 billion.

It was only in the last 100 years we have gone from 1 billion to 7 billion.

It seems unlikely to me that the fossil fuels that make our agricultural practices possible exist too much longer in such a scenario.

Comment

Working...
                              X