Negative thoughts and self-blaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negative thoughts and self-blaming

In my time here at the gym I've seen a good bit of this habit. That is, people who perhaps don't have the best, most active sexual relationship with their partner and they choose to blame themselves for it. Whether it be that they think themselves not attractive enough, not good enough at sex, in possession of a penis that is too small to be pleasurable to their partner, etc. I know I have personally thought all of these things about myself, many times in fact.

There have been a couple of others I've seen recently and it got me thinking that there are probably a LOT of men who do this and maybe we can have a discussion about it. Anybody else out there do it? Anybody have things you have done or tried that have helped or not? Helpful advice to give on the subject? I'd chip in right now with something helpful but I'm quite possibly one of the worst offenders of doing this to myself on the site... I still think these things about myself fairly regularly though thankfully not as often as I once did thanks to the PEGym and some specific members
    Just a regular dick on a forum all about guys.

I do believe that the best way to combat negative thoughts in general would be having a positive outlook on the big picture.

Education, education, education. Do your research before coming to conclusions, most culturally influenced preconceived ideas are WRONG and misleading, and some "scientific studies" suffer from a certain degree of bias, read and digest, think then conclude, a positive support group like we find here is definitely beneficial, and for more than just size or anxiety discussions, I know we can discuss rocket science here if the need arises.

One example would be a post by TPW today here https://www.pegym.com/forums/gym/677...tml#post782963
    A real man never hurts a woman. The woman came out of a man’s rib, not from his feet to be walked on, and not from his head to be superior, but from his side to be equal. Under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved. - Mrs. workin_4_it

Comment

You gotta be able to LAUGH at yourself. If someone takes "pokes" at you, you gotta play along with stuff like that. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that if you are so friggin' up tight and critical of yourself, life is gonna be softer, more fun, more forgiving, less critical.......you name it. I laugh at myself all the time.....BUT.....with respect. In other words I know I'm not truly whatever I'm laughing about.

On another note,,,,right now I'm way overweight........I'm fat and there I friggin' said it. It's never never never stopped people from liking me or loving and Fu**ing me. It has made me self conscious at times,,,may times,,,,,,,,Weight is something I've fought with since I was in my twenties. I've overcome it from 24 to 45 by becoming VERY athletic......was a long distance runner.........and a worker outer! Leg injury within the last 10 years screwed me up,,,,and then losing my business and changing my life to Florida. It's like I'm having the hardest time getting back on the horse,,,,,but I'll never give up. You gotta kill me for that.

I'm sure when I get back to 200lbs.....and I'm making a shitload of $$$......and my gal and I and the little one are perfectly happy,,,,,,,,,I'll find something that is worthy/unworthy of bitching about. That's life!
      Dick Whammy at your Cervix!

Yes, I've had my heart broken, but STILL got my dick. No one will ever take it away from me!

Comment

I personally am full of self hate but I try and stay positive where I can, this often gets tough and I fall back into negativity easily. It's been like that for as long as I remember, anxiety is always an issue too. But I guess you gotta think that there's always people out there worse than you; people born with birth defects that cause daily life to be a challenge, people suffering from severe mental or physical disorders, those in poverty or in a country where you fear your life everyday.

I try look at what I have, what I'm appreciative for, it sometimes helps even a little.
        Original start - 15th May '13 - July (stopped)
        Restarted - November 3rd '13

Stats -

May 2013 - BPEL 6.3"
        January 2014- BPEL 6.7" NBPEL 6.1 MEG 4.75
        April 2014 - BPEL 6.9 NBPEL 6.3 MEG 4.75
        May 2014 - BPEL 18.1cm (7.1")
        October 2014 - NBPEL 6.5" (16.6cm)

Comment

Anybody else have any thoughts?

Comment

I don't know if it's helpful or not, but I have some thoughts on negativity vs. positivity.

The power of positivity is greatly underestimated. We see it many times. Just by believing something to be true, envisioning the way you want it to be and end up, greatly increases the chances of it coming to reality. This works in bodybuilding, your career path, and even here, doing PE. If you keep a positive end result in mind, it has an amazing effect to give you the will to push through, the focus to block out obstacles, and encourage the change you want.

Even if you don't fully achieve the final result you were hoping for, seeing the world through "rosy" glasses will lighten the burden of the negativity that will eventually cross your path.

I think I said it in another thread a while ago. Positivity is a choice, and all about perspective. Change your perspective, and you change your habits. Change your habits, and you change the outcome. Just have to find the positive, no matter how deep you have to dig. It's there, somewhere.

Now, I'm not saying blind yourself to the truth. Just choose to focus on the good more than the bad. It may not be easy, but just like most things, with a little practice, it becomes easier each time. Before you know it, it becomes less of a conscious act, and more of a habit.

Like I said, just my thoughts, could be applied to many things.
            Going an inch and 1/2 deeper than before

Comment

People have difficulties looking at things differently than they have. When I talk about change in other threads, this is most often what I'm talking about - perspective, belief. I'm sure you've all seen me rant about beliefs in the past. Negative thoughts and self-blaming are absolutely part of the belief system you take on.

People have a hard time changing, and for good reason. A lot of the people on here are in their thirties and older. That means they went through most of their life with a certain mindset. They may have the woman, the car, the nice job ... but when it comes to their intimate life, suddenly these massive holes in their belief system reveals problems.
              Changing those beliefs systems means they need to change the way they've seen things - the things that have brought them to this point. So, it's no easy task. However, if you take on the right belief system, you can increase your happiness to no end.

Positivity ... is like the football player who has the ball and is running towards the end-zone. He's just one guy, taking on a team of massive, armoured players who want just one thing: to take him down. So what's he focus on? Does he think "oh shit i'm gonna get creamed!" Of course not. He keeps his eye on the prize - the end zone. Whether or not he gets tackled doesn't matter, because every step he takes towards that goal is a step in the right direction.
              He also has the ability to trust his team mates, trust in his training, trust in his self. The guy stays positive.

Whether it's with relationships, your dick, your finances or whatever - it's critical to our long-term sustainable success and happiness that we keep this frame of mind. Even if you fall, you get back up and try again. That's all you can do. Along the way you'll learn different things to make sure you don't fall in that place again. That's why learning is so important.
              Failure and success are intrinsically connected. You can't have one without the other, so learn to look at failure as a form of success. Even Thomas Edison failed ten thousand times when he went to invent the lightbulb. Ask him and he'll say that he invented 10 thousand ways for a light bulb that doesn't work!

It's all perspective. Keeping the right one will get you to where you want to be faster and with more joy.
              "Know the rules well, so that you may properly break them" - The Dalai Lama
              Do not criticize the seed for not yet being a tree.
              Character is destiny - Sigmund Freud
              As long as I have breath in my lungs, I will make this happen

Comment

I used to feel this way a few year ago when all i would do is smoke pot/ ciggerettes , drink and no get any exercise. Felt LIKE SHIT , now I lift weights and play basketball everyday and I feel fckin awesome!

People forget we are ANIMALS. If you ever had a dog ,you know you g2 walk it everyday not only for it to shit but for it to be healthy and happy . Same shit for us , we were meant to do manual labor for hours a day . The way we used to hunt animals is, we would chase a large animal for TENS of MILES til it tired and we would kill it . So you in the office sitting by the keyboard , munching on donuts all day and wonder why you fcking depressed? Go run , jump , play a sport for a few hours and i guarantee you won't be depressed

Comment

Originally posted by bballer123 View Post
                  I used to feel this way a few year ago when all i would do is smoke pot/ ciggerettes , drink and no get any exercise. Felt LIKE SHIT , now I lift weights and play basketball everyday and I feel fckin awesome!

People forget we are ANIMALS. If you ever had a dog ,you know you g2 walk it everyday not only for it to shit but for it to be healthy and happy . Same shit for us , we were meant to do manual labor for hours a day . The way we used to hunt animals is, we would chase a large animal for TENS of MILES til it tired and we would kill it . So you in the office sitting by the keyboard , munching on donuts all day and wonder why you fcking depressed? Go run , jump , play a sport for a few hours and i guarantee you won't be depressed
                  Great post!! I can relate to this..
                  6.7" length/ 7.1" BP
                  5.1" girth ( 28/06/2013)

7.0" length/7.3" BP
                  5.3" girth (08/01/2014)

7.3" length/7.5" BP
                  5.3 girth (08/04/2014)

Goal 7.5/6

Comment

Hiya Steneo,

I have a question. What positive purpose is served by negative self-talk and self-blaming?

Consider for a moment that everything we do – our behaviours, our actions - invariably has a positive intention. Our actions and behaviours are always towards obtaining a favourable outcome whether or not we are aware of it.

This means that we all have a reason for whatever we do. We are always aiming to achieve something. We might think of our own behaviour or action as negative but it always has a positive intention. By uncovering those positive intentions, we can then seek alternative thoughts, actions and behaviours that are less harmful but will still enable us to achieve that which we seek.

We need to remember that whether an action is good or bad, our behaviour always has a positive intention. So to eliminate those negative thoughts, behaviours or actions, we need to replace them with something more positive while still achieving the same positive intention.

When we can achieve positively that which we are attempting to accomplish negatively; those negative thoughts, actions or behaviours - no longer serving any positive purpose or intention - will simply fade away.

Comment

Originally posted by bballer123 View Post
                      Too much truth here. I lived abroad before, and while I had all my friends for a great time, physically I could tell I was deteriorating. Much more lethargic and I could tell that my erections were getting much weaker over time. I recently moved back to the US and my parents were joining a gym and added me on (hey, it's free for me!). I haven't gone as much as I probably should, but I feel much much better as a result of going. More energy to do things, more excited, and erections are much better just on that alone. I always feel like doing MORE after playing a game of racquetball with my dad than I do while just staying at home. And I actually learn better if I've exercised that day.

The only downside is I simply don't know anybody here, so hanging out with your parents isn't particularly uplifting.

Comment

I just read this the other day.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/cherylsn...gs-they-avoid/

Comment

Thanks everybody, it's quite a nice collection of awesome advice.

Comment

Working...
                          X