Called off the Engagement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Called off the Engagement

I am in my mid 20s (God, really??) and am dating the girl of my dreams who is in her mid to early 20s as well. Don't worry, I didn't call off the engagement with her. This is about her friend, and I am really perplexed by what happened. Sorry if this turns into a long post.

Some background: My girlfriend has two very close friends, both the same age as her, both of whom have serious boyfriends. So the 6 of us have triple dated a few times lately. Her one friend, A, has been dating her boyfriend (who is a good friend of mine prior to connection through the girls) for about 4 years now. Her other friend, B, has a 3 year old daughter with a low life piece of shit, but had recently started dating the man of her dreams about 9 months ago. B's boyfriend proposed to her - and in a very cute gesture, to her daughter as well - about 1 month ago, so 8 months or so after beginning dating.

I don't know this kid that well but he was extremely nice to the point where I literally hinted that there was something wrong with this guy. He had no edge to him whatsoever. I am not trying to make this an "I was right all along" thread or say "nice guys don't exist" or whatever, I am just including how nice this guy was and how accommodating he always was to her needs because it is my theory that he just finally snapped. He's in his late 20s and has a steady, good, job.

Anyway, B and her fiance had never had so much as one serious fight in their relationship. A whole bunch of disagreements came up between the two of them over the wedding, according to my girlfriend it was over nearly everything. So they fought about it and didn't speak for a few hours. Finally she called him at an attempt at reconciliation and he said, "you know what, just give me the ring back." At first my gal and I both thought he said this in anger and not realizing the ramifications of what he was saying, but no. He persisted and in fact refused from then on to see or even speak to B. He sent one text to her a number of times, "return the ring to my mom," which a sobbing B did. They have not spoken since.

How crazy is that? This guy went from, that day, loving her (he sent her a nice morning text) and hours later called off the engagement entirely. If you're thinking he wanted to back out for a while, I should add that the night before he put a 1k downpayment on the engagement party. And much of the disagreement arose from him wanting to book the wedding ASAP, and her saying she wanted to take her time and find the right place!

I can't make any sense of it. I keep thinking there is something else there, something missing, but my girlfriend swears there isn't and I believe her. I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this and if they have ever heard of or experienced anything like this. In my opinion he didn't act like a man at all. I think he is impulsive (engagement after not enough dating time, wants to book the weddings ASAP, calls off the engagement without much consideration) but seriously, could that be all there is?

The short of it: Girlfriend's friend's fiance called off the engagement for no discernible reason.

Good story.

That is a bit weird. It seems to me like 2 things may have happened.

1) he was going along with the ride not knowing how to end it. He didnt want to hurt anyones feelings and finally couldnt take it anymore.

2) There is something missing that you dont know. Maybe he found out that she cheated and didnt tell anyone because he is embarrassed that his girl cheated. Maybe he found something out about her and doesnt want to confront her.

Either way i say good for him for bucking up and ending it. I think far too many people get married because they think thats what they 'ought' to do.

Comment

Sounds like an addict and he could only hold the demon back so far for so long. Addiction or serious anger management problems. There is never a need to rush a wedding in this day and time. Never.

So sorry for B and for your girlfriend. I am sure she is so hurt for her friend. Some day she will hopefully thank God for pulling the rug under the guy. Imagine how awful it would be to be married and have your child in the house with a man who can not handle life.
      The Dick is the Best Toy Ever!

Comment

Originally posted by islander View Post
        Sounds like an addict and he could only hold the demon back so far for so long. Addiction or serious anger management problems. There is never a need to rush a wedding in this day and time. Never.

So sorry for B and for your girlfriend. I am sure she is so hurt for her friend. Some day she will hopefully thank God for pulling the rug under the guy. Imagine how awful it would be to be married and have your child in the house with a man who can not handle life.
        I agree with the rushing bit completely. My girl kept saying, B's gonna get engaged and i'm like yeah right, it's been half a year. And then it happened and damn, the shit hit the fan.

I don't want to get into too many details but it is my personal belief from knowing this guy that it was not drugs or alcohol that caused his decision, although I certainly understand it appears that way. My friend and I want to have a talk with this guy so if we do, I'll update the post and let everyone know what happened, since there is SO much interest.

Comment

Originally posted by bolkonsky View Post
          Good story.

That is a bit weird. It seems to me like 2 things may have happened.

1) he was going along with the ride not knowing how to end it. He didnt want to hurt anyones feelings and finally couldnt take it anymore.

2) There is something missing that you dont know. Maybe he found out that she cheated and didnt tell anyone because he is embarrassed that his girl cheated. Maybe he found something out about her and doesnt want to confront her.

Either way i say good for him for bucking up and ending it. I think far too many people get married because they think thats what they 'ought' to do.
          1 is almost certainly incorrect. However, it is pretty clear to me that there is something I don't know about the situation. I do believe my girlfriend who says there is nothing else to it, but B may be withholding information from her, which is why I would like to talk with this fella.

And I think you're way off base about him "bucking up" - he didn't have the balls to say it to her face. I agree nobody should enter into a marriage that would be bad for them, but the way he did it? No, there is nothing manly at all about that.

Comment

Since you are a betting man and I a betting woman I'll bet

1). She has a history of attracting a holes so I go with that

2) ( I'm placing two separate bets) he got intimidated by her pack ( he tried to upgrade and realized he doesn't fit in)

Lettuce know lol

Comment

He has some serious growing up to do. I guess he doesn't know that marriage is a partnership. I don't know about you are any other man. I could really care less about the arrangements colors flowers what kind of dress the bridal party wears. Yeah I would put my thought into things when asked. Weddings are a sentimental thing for women.

The young lady should be glad she saw this side of him before saying " I do". If she would have jumped on this from the get go. There is no telling what would've happened after the wedding. He probably would be making decisions that would not be good for their new life together.
              I like to reminisce with people I don't know. Steven Wright

Comment

2) ( I'm placing two separate bets) he got intimidated by her pack ( he tried to upgrade and realized he doesn't fit in)

Lettuce know lol
                Lettuce? Damn spell check!
                I like to reminisce with people I don't know. Steven Wright

Comment

Lettuce know lol
                  #1 is definitely a statement of fact, except the first dude was a total scumbag through and through whereas the fiance just had this one incident. Still you're definitely on to something. And I wasn't aware you had such vices!

Originally posted by BigRooster View Post
                  He has some serious growing up to do. I guess he doesn't know that marriage is a partnership. I don't know about you are any other man. I could really care less about the arrangements colors flowers what kind of dress the bridal party wears. Yeah I would put my thought into things when asked. Weddings are a sentimental thing for women.

The young lady should be glad she saw this side of him before saying " I do". If she would have jumped on this from the get go. There is no telling what would've happened after the wedding. He probably would be making decisions that would not be good for their new life together.
                  Yup, I do agree. He is either secretly a control freak or is extremely impulsive, or both. Or something else even - but yes I agree she may have saved herself from a bad marriage. I guess that is the silver lining...

Comment

There must be more to it that you don't know. You're too far removed from the situation to know what's really going on. I think B is probably lying to you and your girlfriend.

Comment

Funny how you all are siding with the women in this case without knowing much of anything about the situation. You said he was a nice guy that suddenly ended the relationship. So when a nice guy ends a relationship he's still somehow the dick. Maybe you should take a closer look at your gf's friend, maybe she's not quite the person she seems.

Comment

MrP that's true.
                        I'm going with the news that B is a mom and would be willing to get engaged and rush to marry as poor judgement. Red flag there. Then she has history of being with "scum" so red flag again.
                        We only know her bad traits.

But the fiancé ditched and ducked and asked for ring back via text to be given to his mommy. This from a guy who was going to marry and be a dad?? Scary

So unless he feared for his life ( which I doubt but you never know) the entire thing screams odd.

Since the girl is BFF with the OPs girlfriend and his gf is the girl of his dreams then why or how could she have such an odd matched BFF?

This is all just fun and games for us but real life for them.

I look forward to the OP's meet with the fella. Could change up their pack a bit eh.

Comment

3 sides to every story.
                          "Those who know others have knowledge,
                          those who know themselves have insight.
                          Those who master others have force,
                          those who master themselves have strength". - Lao Tzu

Comment

There's way too little information here to even make a mildly educated comment.

The dude probably had a sudden eye opening experience that hes in his 20's, is a good catch, and is about to marry a woman who has a child.
                            Focus on the positive :D
                            -----
                            The dog in the bun represents my lifetime goal.

Comment

Originally posted by MrPriapus View Post
                              Funny how you all are siding with the women in this case without knowing much of anything about the situation. You said he was a nice guy that suddenly ended the relationship. So when a nice guy ends a relationship he's still somehow the dick. Maybe you should take a closer look at your gf's friend, maybe she's not quite the person she seems.
                              When a nice guy ends the relationship in the manner he did, yes he is "still somehow the dick." I sincerely hope you don't think that a text message and short phone call is any way to break off an engagement. And nobody is saying that him choosing to discontinue the relationship is a problem, so you shouldn't argue against that. Here, this may help you in the future Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As I have acknowledged, I don't know if something else happened that might explain his behavior, and again I would redirect you to the OP.

Comment

Working...
                              X