How to Avoid the Dreaded "Friend Zone"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Avoid the Dreaded "Friend Zone"

I was asked to post about how to avoid being "friend-zoned" so here goes....

All relationships are essentially social exchanges. They are based on reciprocity; a give-and-take agreement that is often done subconsciously and without discussion. When someone finds themselves stuck in the “friend zone” it is because they have entered into an unfair or unequal social exchange whereby the other person is getting all their emotional/romantic/sexual needs met while the “friend-zoned” individual is not. In other words, these “friend-zoned” individuals are giving everything they have to the other without ensuring they are receiving everything they want/need in return.

Obviously, the best way to avoid the “friend-zone” is not to fall in it to start with. If you are romantically interested in someone then it is important that the social exchange reflects that; in other words move the relationship toward girlfriend/boyfriend/lover/partner immediately. Here are a few suggestions:

Be Attractive. Dr. Helen Fisher defines 3 types of love – lust (sexual desire), attraction (romantic love) and attachment (comfort) – which indicates that there is more to love than just one single emotion. People who get “friend-zoned” only generate feelings of attachment without any attraction or lust feelings. For any number of reasons, these individuals have not been able to spark the chemistry to make the other person desire them in return. Therefore, the social exchange is unequal. The good news is that people can and do learn to be more attractive both physically and psychologically by increasing their erotic capital (see link below) and developing social skills such as confidence, creating sexually stimulating conversations, flirting physically and being a bit coy, non-needy and elusive. By working on their sexual appeal, individuals will more likely be considered "lover" rather than "friend".

Match. Individuals who end up in mutually-satisfying relationships often match each other on a number of levels. For example, they are both roughly equal in traits such as physical attractiveness or education or social status. Although there are exceptions, people tend to attract and mate with others who are similar to themselves.

Ask. Often the reason people end up in the “friend-zone” is because they are too afraid, too uncertain or too passive. Many individuals are more comfortable approaching someone they are attracted to as simply “a friend” because it is less risky emotionally or seems easier. These individuals begin the interaction by not clearly communicating what it is that they want and then settling for less. Sometimes, this is done strictly due to insecurity. Other times, however, it is simply a ploy in which they use friendship as a way in the “back door” rather than risk rejection up front. Unfortunately, these tactics seldom work. So rather than get stuck in the friend zone because of fear or deceit, it is often far more productive to simply state what is desired. It is likely to make for a more equal and fair social exchange. If the other person is not interested, then simply walk away and find someone who is.

Stop Being Too Nice. The final reason why individuals end up in the friend zone is because they are simply too nice. They do all the work in the relationship; making all the concessions and sacrifices. In other words, they make it very “easy” for the other person to be with them. Unfortunately, they also tend to get taken for granted, are devalued and forgotten. We need to remember that people value that which they have to work to obtain and invest in and that included relationships. According to research, people have more attraction and respect for individuals for whom the perform favours. They also find relationships more valuable and commit more completely when they invest in them in various ways. So by doing all the work in the relationship, a person unintentionally places himself “in” the friend zone. And when he is the one doing all the investing, he is also the only one developing all the romantic feelings; the other person does not. Therefore, to avoid being friend-zoned”, the effort and investment must be balanced on both sides. Each individual must give and contribute in equal measure. The needs of both must be satisfied. If the other person doesn't offer then ask!

As you can see, people can end up stuck in the friend zone for a number of reasons. Fortunately with awareness and a bit of work those situations can be changed. The friend zone can truly be avoided.

(info about erotic capital) https://www.pegym.com/forums/gym/672...jawline-7.html
    TPW
    Member of the Month Oct 2013
    Last edited by TPW; 08-21-2014, 11:11 PM.

You mean you can't just check a different box in your profile ?

Hey wanna be my friend ?
    Valued Member of 11 years at the TheBiohacker
    Looks are deceiving, mirrors don't lie.

Comment

Ahahaha Dangler...are you trying to put me in a friend zone box?

You are so very baaaad!

Comment

We both better be good. You know how JP is with that Spanking paddle he got for his Birthday.
        Boy was that a missteakl or what !
        Valued Member of 11 years at the TheBiohacker
        Looks are deceiving, mirrors don't lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Dangler View Post
          We both better be good. You know how JP is with that Spanking paddle he got for his Birthday.
          Boy was that a missteakl or what !
          Indeed Dangler!

Comment

TPW, do you have any articles on why women cheat?
            "Know the rules well, so that you may properly break them" - The Dalai Lama
            Do not criticize the seed for not yet being a tree.
            Character is destiny - Sigmund Freud
            As long as I have breath in my lungs, I will make this happen

Comment

Well hello Mushroom Man...I don't have any articles readily available if that is what you mean. Were you looking for me to post something?

Comment

Yea, I'd appreciate it if you would. I'd like to know more about it.
                "Know the rules well, so that you may properly break them" - The Dalai Lama
                Do not criticize the seed for not yet being a tree.
                Character is destiny - Sigmund Freud
                As long as I have breath in my lungs, I will make this happen

Comment

Seems to be some pua style stuff in there Tpw.

Comment

Thank God I don't watch Friends..
                    You never slow down, you never grow old!

Comment

Hey Pegasus,

I'm not sure I agree so could you clarify what specifically you are referring to?

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
                      Seems to be some pua style stuff in there Tpw.

Comment

Originally posted by Toadstool View Post
                        Yea, I'd appreciate it if you would. I'd like to know more about it.
                        I've sent you a message.

Comment

As per request...

What to do IF you already find yourself in the "friend zone".

Keep in mind the previous explanation about reciprocity because to escape the "friend-zone" you are going to need to re-negotiate the current social exchange. Essentially, you want to better balance the level of give-and-take.

1. Become less interested. Chances are the relationship is already imbalanced because you value it more than the other person so take a step back. It is difficult, if not impossible, to balance the relationship when you are being needy. A feeling of desperation will only result in accepting what the other offers you rather than what you truly want and deserve. Be ready to walk away if you do not get the relationship you want because those individuals who are more willing to run the risk and walk away have the power to guide the relationship.

2. Make yourself scarce. Spend some time away from your love interest; stop being at their beck and call. Do less for them. If they truly appreciate you, then your absence will make their heart grow fonder. They'll miss you and want you more. People value something more when it is rare, unavailable or taken from them; be it an object, opportunity or person. When you make yourself less available and no longer tend to their every whim, they will feel the loss. This will increase their desire for you and a willingness to create a more balanced social exchange that will meet both your needs. If it doesn't then at least you will know they are not interested in a romantic relationship with you and you can move on and find someone who does.

3. Get them to invest in you. Start asking your love interest to do things for you instead of you always doing things for them. As I stated earlier, people like you more when they do favours for you. The more they invest in the relationship, the more value it will hold for them. And it doesn't need to be huge favours; just ask them to help you with your class, to fix something or a ride.

4. Be grateful. Remember to be appreciative when your love interest behaves in a manner that you desire. As they are good to you, be good to them in return. Encourage positive behaviour with affection and attentiveness. Conversely, ignore them when they behave poorly. Remember you are attempting to create a relationship based on equality and mutual enjoyment.

Good Luck!
                          TPW
                          Member of the Month Oct 2013
                          Last edited by TPW; 08-29-2014, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Passionate Wife View Post
                            2. Make yourself scarce.
                            I am an expert at this, I make myself so scarce that no lady knows I exist and I can't stop them from following me........or they are just heading in the same direction as me.

Comment

Very informative thread TPW

Keep the advice coming!
                              Starting stats (10/8/14):
                              NBPEL: 6"
                              BPEL: 6.3"
                              MSEG: 5"

Current:
                              NBPEL: 6.2"
                              BPFSL: 6.75"
                              BPEL: 6.6"
                              MSEG: 5"