Grammar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grammar

At the PE Gym, we encourage members to have proper grammar and spelling when posting in threads. Many members, mostly the Newbies, are posting as if they are messaging someone. There is a difference between grammar/spelling in Instant Messages and grammar/spelling in threads/posts.

The main reasons why the PE Gym wants to encourage good grammar and spelling are:

1) It'll be easier to find information in certain threads/posts via the search button. For example, say I was interested in a search for jelqing. If people spell it different ways, or shorthanded it to jqing or something like that, then it would be more difficult for me to find all the information that I need.

2) Here at PE Gym, we have many members in which English is NOT their first language. If English isn't someone's first language, they'll usually copy and paste the posts into an online translator. If people use shorthand or bad grammar, then the message is sure to be lost in translation.

3) Many people are not used to shorthands/abbreviations. Although it might be easier or faster to type, it's not that easy to read the posts. If posts are cluttered or hard to read, members might not even bother to read it. If members can't read your posts, then getting the answer you want becomes twice as hard.

So, to all members, please try your best to spell each word out. Try to avoid shorthands such as b4, u, w/o, Iv, i, prblm, etc. Remember, these rules are here for everyone's benefit.
    The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for.
    ~Oscar Wilde~

Couldn't have said it better myself To add some data to point 2: Only half our traffic comes from the US and roughly 1/3 of our traffic comes from countries that English isn't the native language.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Guys, just a friendly reminder as to grammar and punctuation. Please read the above post.

Thanks!

Iguana
      May 2006: 5.75" X 4.5" - Now: 7.44" X 4.875"

Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal: my strength lies solely in my tenacity.

Louis Pasteur

Comment

Not to get too picky, but point 2 should read: "... for whom English is not..." not "... in which English is not...". And the third sentence in point 1 has verb tense disagreement with "spell", "shorthanded", and "need". There's also some pronoun number disagreement in point 3 between "posts" and "it".

Sorry... I just couldn't resist

Comment

The irony
          "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Falling short:

[SIZE="4"]Hello ; I'm new too this, and I need to know all I can too have a very healthy penis. I'm a beginner and I really need your help, please let me know what I have to do, and what I have to buy, I'm not worried about getting bigger & thicker that will come in time. I will follow all directions, so here I am please help me, lekim

[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by lekim View Post
              Hello ; I'm new too this, and I need to know all I can too have a very healthy penis. I'm a beginner and I really need your help, please let me know what I have to do, and what I have to buy, I'm not worried about getting bigger & thicker that will come in time. I will follow all directions, so here I am please help me, lekim

I'm sorry, but grammar won't help your penis.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleQ View Post
                Not to get too picky, but point 2 should read: "... for whom English is not..." not "... in which English is not...". And the third sentence in point 1 has verb tense disagreement with "spell", "shorthanded", and "need". There's also some pronoun number disagreement in point 3 between "posts" and "it".

Sorry... I just couldn't resist

Ya, I think it's also "poor grammar" not "bad grammar"

*snickers*

Comment

Also, it's an OUTRAGE to compare texting "lol, wtf" etc. to true shorthand like "w/o" or "b/c"... one is recognized in the professional world, the other is vilified. Let's keep it clean.

Comment

Originally posted by lekim View Post
                    Hello ; I'm new too this, and I need to know all I can too have a very healthy penis. I'm a beginner and I really need your help, please let me know what I have to do, and what I have to buy, I'm not worried about getting bigger & thicker that will come in time. I will follow all directions, so here I am please help me, lekim
                    Hi lemkin, you need to go to the beginers section and the intro section. https://www.pegym.com/forums/beginners-forum/

Comment

The only problem that i have with people is that most of the time due to a low amount of "paragraphing" i usually quit reading their posts. And usually when it is about premature ejaculation i would probably have something good to say and to help the person in question.

But when i see the wall of text with no spacing i lose the initiative to provide info. The same goes for putting a lot of ........ in text.

I don't have a problem with a misspeled word here and there, since i do that myself, but the bottom line is:

If you want your post to be read and answered to, make some effort in making it presentable, it shows your determination.
                      premE FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Doc View Post
                        Also, it's an OUTRAGE to compare texting "lol, wtf" etc. to true shorthand like "w/o" or "b/c"... one is recognized in the professional world, the other is vilified. Let's keep it clean.
                        Don't take it as an outrage: the reason for this is that many members are not native english speakers don't even use english for their professional activity, so shortcuts like w/o or b/c might be as ununderstandable to them as wtf...
                        I strongly second Minuteman about the use of paragraphs...
                        Il vaut mieux mobiliser son intelligence sur des conneries que mobiliser sa connerie sur des choses intelligentes.

Comment

My first language is not English,natural reason may be something wrong writing English sentences.Excuse me, if there are some. Your good advice is very good way
                          for my. I will must obey it

Comment

Originally posted by quik4life View Post
                            At the PE Gym, we encourage members to have proper grammar and spelling when posting in threads. Many members, mostly the Newbies, are posting as if they are messaging someone. There is a difference between grammar/spelling in Instant Messages and grammar/spelling in threads/posts.

The main reasons why the PE Gym wants to encourage good grammar and spelling are:

1) It'll be easier to find information in certain threads/posts via the search button. For example, say I was interested in a search for jelqing. If people spell it different ways, or shorthanded it to jqing or something like that, then it would be more difficult for me to find all the information that I need.

2) Here at PE Gym, we have many members in which English is NOT their first language. If English isn't someone's first language, they'll usually copy and paste the posts into an online translator. If people use shorthand or bad grammar, then the message is sure to be lost in translation.

3) Many people are not used to shorthands/abbreviations. Although it might be easier or faster to type, it's not that easy to read the posts. If posts are cluttered or hard to read, members might not even bother to read it. If members can't read your posts, then getting the answer you want becomes twice as hard.

So, to all members, please try your best to spell each word out. Try to avoid shorthands such as b4, u, w/o, Iv, i, prblm, etc. Remember, these rules are here for everyone's benefit.
                            If somebody first language is not English then why encourage them to use the forum if you want decent grammar?

Comment

Originally posted by Goblyg View Post
                              If somebody first language is not English then why encourage them to use the forum if you want decent grammar?
                              I don't! Nor do I want guys in wheelchairs posting, people with only one eye, or anybody that lives in the state of Alabama cause we all know they do speak English there at all but we like to try and encourage the attempt to use correct grammar the best they can. When we get some of them young kids on here that like to use text speach, well now I eat them. I used to eat Filipino's but I cut them some slack after that hurricane. Oh I forgot; I eat vegans as well; that's where I get my fiber!
                              The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Comment

Working...
                              X