Setting and tracking your PE goal is a powerful tool to help ensure your success!
Hope the below information proves helpful....

Effective Goal Setting

I will preface this article by stating this: By coming to this site and keeping an open-mind while you research, read, and learn you are adding items to your PE “toolbox.” Just like a real toolbox, there will be items you use more frequently, and ones you use less…..but having them available, and knowing how and when to use them, is the key.

Width and depth of knowledge, varying your PE work, keeping everything fresh and not allowing your body (or brain!) to ‘plateau’ easily, and being consistent in your efforts will take one far, not just with PE, but with anything in life!

And hopefully this information will be of assistance, and something that you can add to your toolbox, as well!

With those things being said, let us discuss goal setting

Goal setting provides long-term vision and short-term motivation. It allows one to have focus, to follow a logical route of progression, to be able to monitor and evaluate progress, and to have pride in accomplishing their goals.

Of utmost importance is recalling that in pursuing one’s goal(s), it is about PROGRESS, not perfection!

If one has a ‘failure’ or experiences a bad day---- or even falls completely off the wagon for a time---- setting goals and doing SOMETHING to achieve them is far better than doing NOTHING. After having such an experience (and you will !), get back up, dust yourself off, give yourself credit for the attempt, use positive imagery and positive self-talk as opposed to negativity and berating yourself, and get back on track!

Goal Setting Helps Self-Confidence
By setting goals and measuring their achievements, individuals are able to see what they have done and what they are capable of. Seeing their results gives the confidence and assurance that is needed in order to believe they can achieve higher goals.

Research says goal-setting helps people:
· Achieve more (Do you ever recall when setting a goal helped you achieve more than you thought you could?)
· Improve performance (Did having a goal improve your performance?)
· Increase your motivation to achieve (Did having a goal increase your motivation?)
· Increase your pride and satisfaction in your achievements (Did you feel these things?)
· Improve your self-confidence (Was your confidence improved?)
· Suffer less from stress and anxiety (Do you think it would…?)
· Concentrate better (Should it help…?)

Basics of Effective Goal Setting
Express goals positively: “To improve my spelling” is a much better goal than “Don’t spell with so many mistakes.”
Be accurate: If individuals set an accurate goal--- putting in dates, times and amounts so that achievement can be measured--- they can track progress and know that progress is being made and know when the goal has been achieved, and be satisfied at achieving it.
Set Priorities: When individuals have several goals, give each a priority. This helps avoid feeling overwhelmed and helps focus attention on the more important ones.
Record it: Write goals down to make them more meaningful, and easier to track.
Keep Goals Reasonable: In starting one’s goal setting, keep the first series of immediate goals small and achievable. Don’t shoot yourself in the foot right off the starting block!
Set Goals The Individual Has Control Over: There is nothing worse than failing to achieve a personal goal for reasons beyond one’s control. In setting goals, try to imagine all the possible barriers to achieving it, and ensure that your goal is going to be one that cannot be completely derailed because of things you cannot control.

An example might be setting a goal to complete building your dream home over a period of 1 year. You plan to begin work on April 1st, and it turns out to be the rainiest spring on record, limiting your ability to work on raising the walls and roof. During the summer months, the heat is so excessive that you are only able to work for a few hours in the early morning and late afternoon. Then in early fall a cold snap comes along which prevents your contractor from being able to do the needed cement and asphalt work. In addition, the granite countertop and ceramic backsplash that you spent weeks picking out become unavailable due to the manufacturer declaring bankruptcy. The delivery of all your custom kitchen appliances never happens: the truck wrecks on the way to your location and every appliance is destroyed when the truck rolls numerous times. (You get the picture)

Set specific, measurable goals: If an individual fails to meet a measurable goal--- or measurable benchmarks in working towards achieving an overall goal--- then they can analyze the reason for failure and take appropriate action.
Plan for rewarding yourself upon meeting the goal: Your choice. A night out without restrictions on amount of money spent; your favorite dessert after a long cutting cycle or stringent diet; buying yourself that expensive item you’ve wanted for a long time; etc, etc.
(Larger or longer-term goals need larger rewards!)

How can we improve upon the above example of “To improve my spelling”?
Consider WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, HOW
· Who is responsible for it?
· What is to be done, what are the available resources, what is the deadline?
· Where will it be accomplished?
· When will it be done?
· How will you know when it is accomplished? How will you measure the results?

“I will improve my spelling by taking online self-help courses during the 2-3 hours I have available each evening so that I decrease the spelling mistakes in my emails by 50% within a 3 month period.”

A few of the many things to consider regarding one’s goal(s):
Number and location of options to help meet the goal, how to access them
Monitoring progress with a set frequency
Evaluate/re-evaluate consistently, not constantly!
Thinking of the reward(s) for meeting the goal; being positive and forward-focused

Well planned goals illustrate and reinforce the power of belief….If you can conceive it and believe it, you can achieve it!

Write down your goals/plan, sign a contract with yourself, and review it daily!

I, _______________________, hereby promise to maintain the PE program that I have outlined, above, for ______ days/weeks/months by consistently applying/practicing what I have learned throughout that time. I will dedicate 30 minutes each morning and evening to my manual routine and I will avoid people/thoughts/areas that create negativity. I will not view or participate in __________ at any time during this period, as it detracts from my goal(s).
Upon completion of this contract on __(date)___I will treat/reward myself by _________.

Signed:_________________/date

Maintaining a journal or progress log is very important, as well. One should put down not only facts, but feelings and perceptions, as well. These will help to maintain focus and positivity, as well as helping identify anything which may be limiting your ability to achieve your goal in the proposed time frame.

Types of goals:
Immediate goals less specific
Short-term goals to
Medium-term goals ever more
Long-term goals specific
Lifetime goals

“I’m gonna quit” (quit what? By when? How? Poorly written)

Examples of immediate to long-term goals
“I will not smoke a cigarette for another hour.”
“I will avoid smoking areas and will not smoke a cigarette this week.”
“I will refrain from smoking during the next 3 months, during which time I will exercise for 30 minutes per day, 4 times per week”
“I will continue to be a non-smoker over the next year, using all the tools in my toolbox to help me maintain, and will prepare for and complete a 10k run by December 31st, 2016.”

Revisit the goal(s) and the contract you made with yourself on a daily basis, and recall the importance of keeping a daily Journal, especially as that relates to the positive feelings experienced each day.

SMART goals: Specific, Measureable, Achievable, Realistic, Timely

S = Specificity Be specific with your goal, i.e., “I will increase my NBPEL…”

M = Measureable A must in knowing that a goal is achieved! “by 1 inch…”

A = Achievable/Attainable One must only set goals that meet this requirement! (i.e., one certainly should not set themselves up for failure by setting an unattainable goal like, “I will increase my NBPEL by 4 inches in 4 weeks.”)

R = Realistic Similar to the “A” portion of the SMART goal, the end result must be a realistic expectation for the work done. (i.e., starting out at a NBPEL of 8” one should not have a goal stating, “I will increase my penis length enough to break the current world record of 13.5 inches.”)

T = Timely Whether immediate-, short-, medium-, or long-term, the goal(s) must have this component in order to be complete and measureable. “in 6 months, on [date].

SMART goals vs/ HARD goals
Consider how some people seem to achieve so much, while others seem to just go in circles while achieving little or nothing.
How do these “superachievers” set themselves apart?
Some say that it is because they set such difficult, lofty goals, which serve to motivate and drive them harder than the average goal-setter.
By setting these HARD goals, proponents say they end up achieving even more!

HARD = Heartfelt, Animated, Required, Difficult

H = Heartfelt: If you really, truly, deeply care about your goal, you will do whatever is necessary to achieve it!
Make sure that your goal is putting you on track to achieve something that you need and want more than anything, not just something it would be nice to do, or nice to have, but something of great importance to you!
Outline exactly why you care about this goal so much.
Know that this “something” is of greater worth than anything else you can imagine, and is something, therefore, that you are never going to allow anyone or anything to prevent you from achieving!

A = Animated: This goal is so personal that you feel like something would be missing in your life if it was not achieved. You can vividly see/taste/hear/smell/feel all that such an achievement would mean to you! Being able to imagine and visualize the goal in this manner allows you to fully and completely commit to it, and bring to bear techniques and reserves that would not be available to you for normal goals. Create your vision of achieving your goal in the greatest possible depth and specificity: Write it down in fine detail; visualize it with absolute clarity and distinction, with all senses involved; see the background, feel the emotion, make it alive.

R = Required: Why must you accomplish this goal NOW?
You have to convince yourself that the goal is not a typical or average goal, but is a necessity! You must know that when you achieve it, the result is going to be one that is so worthwhile and satisfying, that all you invest pales in comparison to the payoff.
The payoff has to be so attractive, so necessary, that your pursuit and achievement of it is “automatic.” There is no question that it is a MUST HAVE or a MUST DO, and the urgency with which you pursue it will reflect that fact!

D = Difficult: Difficult does not mean unattainable! It means that you are setting a goal that is hard enough to obtain that it forces you to tap into all your talents and resources in order to achieve it. But one has to know that the goal is only difficult, not impossible, so that one doesn’t give up without even trying. This is something each individual will have to assess. When you hit that “sweet spot” you will be propelled to heights that you may have never achieved before in your life!
The sense of accomplishment upon completing your goal will be so great that you will ride that high for a very long time!

Summary

Setting and achieving your own goal that you set for yourself, based solely upon your own investment, creates a great sense of accomplishment! (Ownership, Pride, Personal, Invested)

Consider the leading vs/ the following; the making vs/ the buying; the purchasing vs/ the gift; the owning vs/ the renting; the choosing to do vs/ being forced to do.

Are worthwhile goals easy and pain-free? Of course not….Nothing truly worthwhile is ever easy!

There will always be speedbumps to give you a reality-check, and they can almost always be overcome. If you can’t go over, go around.

Or, as Nike says, “Just do it!”

To reiterate:
In pursuing one’s goal(s), it is about PROGRESS, not perfection!

If one has a ‘failure’ or experiences a bad day---- or even falls completely off the wagon for a time---- setting goals and doing SOMETHING to achieve them is far better than doing NOTHING. After having such an experience (and you will !), get back up, dust yourself off, give yourself credit for the attempt, use positive imagery and positive self-talk as opposed to negativity and berating yourself, and get back on track!