The Youtube World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Youtube World

I am older than most of you guys here so we have a bit of generational difference.I grew up with a thing called television better known as tv. Nope, no cable channels, no computer, just 4 or 5 local channels that every once in a while the vertical hold had to be adjusted. How many of you know what vertical hold is? Well anyway, if we saw it on tv it was true, whatever it was. John Foggarty wrote a good song about it.

Well I, and my world, grew up. As I grew I began to realize if it was on tv it more than likely wasn't true. The ginsu knife could cut through a Volkswagen and right after that cut a tomato perfectly. I brought it and it can't even cut the tomato but there was a money back guarantee which I 'm still waiting for but hey it's only been 30 years.

As I matured, and I know most of you do question my maturity, I learned things about life and people.I began to realize there were people out there much smarter than me.Scientists, engineers,physicists, and on and on. These folk were smart, they'd study, they'd disprove or prove somethings that I couldn't begin to understand.I found out that these smart people worked hard and no matter how smart they were whatever they said they had to prove to other smart people.If one of these smart guys designed and engine that got 100 mile per gallon there were other smart people who jumped at the chance to prove him either right or wrong. They did their own studies in the pursuit of truth.That how progress was made.

You couldn't come out and say that you discovered a new planet somewhere. That had to be proven again and again and again.When you were done proving it then it would be published in some journal that had very high standards that one could trust and these journals did not want to publish something that wasn't true or risk losing their credibility and then going out of business. That's how we advanced as a civilization; study, more study, debate, investigation, more study and so on.

There were things called standards that had to be met. Now I hear, not just from here but even from my own kids, that something is true because they saw it on youtube.The standards for putting something on youtube are practically non existent. Who are these people that say 9/11 was a CIA plot, the oil companies are paying people to keep great engines off the market, Usama Bin Laden was a fairy tale, and on and on. What credibility do these folks have? I can make my own video and with the help of a computer ( and my kids who are very good at it) as I'm having a discussion with Elvis as to what he's been up to lately even though he's been dead for quite sometime.

My question is this to you youtubies out there? Why do you believe what's on there is true? If you were a reputable smart scientist, inventor, engineer, doctor or whatever is this where you'd make your studies known? Would a smart guy who just designed a new way to build a bridge publish in an a reputable journal on how to build bridges or would he put it on youtube? Let me know what you think.
    TTBB
    Last edited by TTBB; 05-07-2011, 06:13 PM. Reason: paragraphs.
    The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

This is very hard to read... Damn for A.D.H.D. Did they have that in your time?

Comment

Well I thought I wrote it in English but I could be wrong. I'll go check.

Comment

I was just joking man... When I looked at it I was like WOW.. alot of words. Where do I begin... I know the top left.

Comment

Can you read it backwards? ?sdrawkcab ti daer uoy naC

Comment

Being young and pretty much growing up in an age of nothing but technology, I've been able to see exactly what is going on with how people are coming to believe things. Basically, people are sheep. Over the past 15 or so years, it's like we've turned into a bunch of brain-dead sheep. People can't think for themselves, so they need to be told how things are from the people they see on the "news" or the facetubes. The people on the "news" need to be told what is going on by the people on the facetubes, and the people on the facetubes need to be told what's going on by the "news". Throw in this new twitter thing, and it's a complete shit-storm of misinformation and made-up facts that is more taken as proof because with the new technology, it's so much easier to make up false facts as proof than it is to actually prove something to really be true or false. We've gone from a period of where those with upper level educations were more revered to an age where it's ok by society to drop out of high school get a GED, and work at McDonalds for minimum wage. I can go right now onto Wikipedia and edit the page about the moon to say that it's made of cheese and old gym socks, and guaranteed, some high school kid will copy and paste that info and turn it in as a school project.

I feel those who are truly smart and want to be taken seriously will publish their work in reputable journals, though not for much longer. Pretty soon that wont matter as the "news" continues to expand. Anyone else see the clip of someone on the Weather Channel interviewing a scientist about the Fukushima incident and the news anchor did nothing but interrupt the scientists and say "no that's not true" and "you're wrong"? There will come a point in time when the smart people just wont give a shit anymore.

I could probably go on for days about this.

Comment

It is a major problem. It is no longer cool, respected, or even acceptable to be intelligent. Blame it on pop culture, television or the internet. I know scientists and professors who teach or research at a top tier university. Even at this top tier university they all agree their course work and what is acceptable as an A has been lowered. Their students are incapable of doing simple calculations that can be done mentally. For instance my father puts a PH calculation problem on all of his exams. His students are biology majors. Most of the class can not calculate PH. I have attended a community college and a mid level university. To get an A in my chemistry course I only had to get a 60 on my exams. Most of the students were getting 30-40% correct. This course was for students attempting a Bachelors of Science. It was not a BA review course. Same with my physics course for engineers. The professor curved 25 points on our last exam.

Back to Cusps original post. It is terrifying what people believe these days. The general population is completely incapable of rational thought. As was said above they have to be told what they think.

Comment

Cuspie.. some paragraphs would have been nice... i will come back later and try to read through it again.. i still have my 'just woke up' vision going... ..LOL
                ~ If.....
                ~ TTBB big-ginners program for JPopping boobies
                ~ Lust and Love

“It is so hard to leave—until you leave. And then it is the easiest goddamned thing in the world.”

Comment

Hmmm while not as old as you there Cusp, I do remember the vertical hold And the 5 local channels ... and the days of the old sign off "beep" and color check display (these days NO channel ever goes off the air!!) ...

Being as immersed in technology as I am, I have seen and followed the transformation the internet and the 'instant news' phenomenon has had on our lives and the way the world communicates. News isn't really "news" anymore ... some of the shit out there now would have NEVER been considered news back then. Period pieces and public service things have been labeled as news ...

And you are right about the process it use to take - it seemed like back then there was actually research being done before anything was reported. But these days news companies have to be the ones that say "you heard it here first" ... and that often leads to jacked up reporting and incorrect information being passed along ...
                  Old Gym Log - Tracking progress with the iLogPE App
                  "Wherever you go, there you are. Stay sexy, my friends."

Comment

You wanted paragraphs? I don't type well at all. You're lucky I got most of the words spelled somewhat correctly!

Comment

Ok you said i could so i have put paragraphs in ..and i spell checked it for you..LOL
                      disclaimer: My spelling and Grammar is shit ..
                      ~ If.....
                      ~ TTBB big-ginners program for JPopping boobies
                      ~ Lust and Love

“It is so hard to leave—until you leave. And then it is the easiest goddamned thing in the world.”

Comment

of course you cant believe everything that youtube says. or tv, or politics, or radio or... anything! at the end of the day people are only going to believe what they want to believe anyway.. I dont think this generation is any different to the 1000's before it. We have always believed what we want to, proof or no proof(religion anyone??? sorry :P ). People have always lied to sell products, today is no exception. People have always had their conspiracies for pretty much every walk in life, today is no exception. The mass always believed their superiors (governments, schools, parents, religion, society). One difference now with belief is that people are more educated and can quickly and easily gain access to 100s of opinions on any related matter. But then again, people will simply believe what they want to, so today is of no exception.
                        The only difference with this generation and the previous ones is that information just moves faster and that has blown things up to epic proportions. We are much more exposed to information now, so obviously bullshit news has to be attached to that. People focus on negativity, so maybe thats why there seems to be more of it, when in truth maybe its the same percentage

Comment

wikipedia has actually become a quite reliable source. try to edit a page - it will be fixed in seconds guaranteed.

as for youtube... well.... its entertainment. what concerns me is not the BS that you find on youtube, its the
                          BS you find from politicians on twitter - sarah palin and the like. thats the real scary shit, she was almost vice president.
                          The force is strong with you young Skywalker. Obi Wan has trained you well.

before: 6X4.5
                          now: 7X5
                          next: 8X6

Comment

Youtube is just entertainment, nothing more.
                            AP90 member.

Comment

CUSP you have to remember kids now days rarely read any more.
                              I had to laugh about the damn vertical hold, do I remember that old crap. Changing changes manually before remotes. Only black and white TV.
                              I agree still don't understand the youtube thing but I do have to say without the internet life would not be the same.
                              Look at this site for example, how many of us would still be sitting in a corner wishing we could have large hard penises.

I guess we have to take the good with the bad.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Sept 2010 BPEL 5.25 x EG 4.25
                              Feb 2011 BPEL 6.5 x EG 4.65
                              Oct 2011 1yr posting BPEL 7 x EG 4.8 (now time to work on girth)

Comment

Working...
                              X