Optimizing PE with Warm-Ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimizing PE with Warm-Ups

Often on the forums I see suggestions of using a hot washcloth, shower, or cup of hot water for your warm-up. While I myself had started by doing this during my initial routine 6 months ago, I have always questioned its effectiveness.

As we know, some of high gains have been shown to occur for people who don't even warm-up, and without a clear statistical analysis, it is hard to say how this group would compare to those who do use warm-ups.

The thing I would really like to address is the possible flaws with wet warm-ups.

When you sweat, the body uses that sweat to achieve homeostasis by cooling the skin at a faster rate. This is because your body heat will use the sweat as a medium to diffuse into the environment. Sweat is mostly a water. The same effect occurs when someone falls in a cold lake. Heat rushes out of them faster than in cold air; hence, why falling into ice water can lead to hypothermia so quickly. It also explains why your body cools so quickly after the shower. Your body is always attempting to achieve homeostasis, and maintain internal body temperature.

Given these facts, if you warm your genitals with a shower, hot washcloth, or cup of water, you are heating it while contact with the heat source is maintained, but when you separate from that heat source, the remaining dampness on your genitals (no matter how well you dry) will cause some level of heat loss.

Now, the theory behind a warm up is clear. By increasing the blood rushing to the region, you can support tissue repair, increase circulation, and expand the size of the region. Heat and circulation supports development of new cells, fibrous tissue repair (such as collagen), and dilates your arteries, allowing you to achieve a larger size than your usual baseline. Given this, heat clearly is important... so why not optimize your maintenance of heat?

That is why I would suggest utilizing the rice-sock method instead. On top of that, make the warm up a circuit. You are not working with skeletal muscle here. You are working with arteries, veins, venous chambers, and soft muscle. Due to this, it may be more benficial to pause your jelqing and warm up in between sets... say aproximately every 10 minutes, and re-apply the rice sock.

This is something I plan to add to my workout, and I am curious about everyone's opinions on this.
    CaptainJohnson
    Retired Moderator
    PEGym Hero
    Last edited by CaptainJohnson; 09-27-2012, 08:27 AM.
    "If you want a log you need to keep a log." - Tinkerbell
    "I wish I was average height with average hand size." - thenewdude

I completely agree with you on this. Water based heating methods also cause rapid cooling. It's always best in my opinion to use a dry heat to warm up that's why I alway use a electric heating pad.

I'm doing a stretching only routine at the moment after not doing any PE for the last 2 and a half months and after my initial warm up I stop every 10 min to reapply heat.
    On a break from the forum
    imac's Phallosan Forte Progress Log
    Pelvic Floor Balance
    Confusion With Reverse Kegels

Reverse Kegel Breathing (Meditative Reverse Kegels)

Comment

Yeah ive been doing a PESG routine for near to a month . Warm up with a rice sock for approx 10-15 mins then stretch and then warm up again before low EQ jelgs for length and i find the extra heating helps! One question i would ask is it necessary for a warm down after a session
      Initial Size 08/09/12 - BPEL: 5.12" , EG: 5"
      08/10/12 - BPEL:5.5" (.38"+) ,EG:5.12" (.12"+)
      08/11/12 - No Gains
      08/12/12 - BPEL:5.75" (.25"+) ,EG:5.25" (.125"+)

Comment

Originally posted by Jay12345 View Post
        Yeah ive been doing a PESG routine for near to a month . Warm up with a rice sock for approx 10-15 mins then stretch and then warm up again before low EQ jelgs for length and i find the extra heating helps! One question i would ask is it necessary for a warm down after a session
        Probably not but couldn't hurt. Personally, I always shower after because I have a tonne of lube in my crotch. The rapid cooldown after the shower isn't a problem since the PE session is over.

Comment

I personally don't warm-up simply because it is all superficial heat, I doubt that it can penetrate the tunica, and it dissipates quite quickly.

When warming-up, we do so for increased blood-flow as you say, however this is also a cooling mechanism, the blood carries away the heat.

The only effective warm-ups, in my opinion, would be with an ultrasound device (which could damage the testicles!), or jelqing under an infrared lamp as this would provide constant heat during the routine.
          My progress log

Comment

Infrared lamp... I've heard of some people using that. That's something I'm going to get for myself one day. I wonder how effective it would be to have the IR shining on you while traction wrapped for an hour or so.
            A passive heat+stretch
            "Know the rules well, so that you may properly break them" - The Dalai Lama
            Do not criticize the seed for not yet being a tree.
            Character is destiny - Sigmund Freud
            As long as I have breath in my lungs, I will make this happen

Comment

Originally posted by Toadstool View Post
              Infrared lamp... I've heard of some people using that. That's something I'm going to get for myself one day. I wonder how effective it would be to have the IR shining on you while traction wrapped for an hour or so.
              A passive heat+stretch
              An hour warmin? Look out for your balls.

I personally use an electric blanket.
              Start(11.24.11) BPEL 6 7/8 EG 4 7/8
              Current stats

Comment

Originally posted by Padawan787 View Post
                I personally don't warm-up simply because it is all superficial heat, I doubt that it can penetrate the tunica, and it dissipates quite quickly.

When warming-up, we do so for increased blood-flow as you say, however this is also a cooling mechanism, the blood carries away the heat.

The only effective warm-ups, in my opinion, would be with an ultrasound device (which could damage the testicles!), or jelqing under an infrared lamp as this would provide constant heat during the routine.
                You are correct!
                The above is not meant to be argumentative, abrasive or confrontational. Take this and everything you read with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Padawan787 View Post

Excellent points!

The thing is, the heating is not just for the tunica, but for the arteries/veins. Dilating the veins/arteries allows for a better blood flow to the penis... even then, heat gets to the tunica, since (as you said) blood carries heat away. This means blood will also help guide heat to the deeper layers. The heat does dissipate quickly, but re-heating consistently may prove beneficial. As for heating pre and post PE warmups, I think it is largely ineffective, and with water-based heating you may in fact be sabotaging your workout.

As for the argument of whether heating as a whole is beneficial, that one is up to debate.
                  CaptainJohnson
                  Retired Moderator
                  PEGym Hero
                  Last edited by CaptainJohnson; 09-30-2012, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I usually do all my stretching in the shower while the hot water keeps it hot the entire time. I think it's good enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X